Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need help with ragged edge cotton fabric quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-ragged-edge-cotton-fabric-quilt-t65793.html)

LovinMySoldier 09-20-2010 11:37 AM

How many times have you put it in the dryer? I washed and dried one that I made for my son 3 or 4 times in a row and it helped a ton. Also how close did you make your cuts. The closer they are the better they fray I think. And I like to cut mine diagonally to the seams vs. straight on.

zoey 09-20-2010 11:51 AM

Your quilt turned out beautiful. Thank you all for the helpful tips. I think I am going to brush the seams with a stiff brush that might help. Will probably go back to flannel or homespun next time around. Ellie

DeEtta 09-20-2010 11:53 AM

I used cotton Christmas fabric to make each of my daughters a tree skirt. I did use flannel in between the layers of the cotton fabric though and the edges looked really good after I clipped and washed them.

ckcowl 09-20-2010 12:13 PM

for cotton i use a 1/2" seam and clip really close. the more layers you have the better it will turn out, if you only have a top and bottom layer there just isn't enough fabric to (fluff) at least a 3rd layer is needed, usually flannel works the best.
when i want to test to see if my fabric choices are going to 'fray' the way i want i make a practice piece, usually about 4 blocks sewn together, as they would be in the quilt and i make it start to finish and see if it is what i want...if it is great! i get going on the quilt (and i use the practice piece to make a pillow to go with it. if it does not then i can add another layer, or start over or adjust as needed to get the finish i am looking for. it's all trial and error ;)

amma 09-20-2010 01:04 PM

Sew your seams so that each snip is approx 1/2"
Also, angle your snips, so that you are cutting them on the bias and you will get better fraying :D:D:D

zoey 09-21-2010 08:19 AM

I've gotten a lot of great responses and tips thank you all for your help and encouragements. Ellie

zoey 09-21-2010 08:21 AM

from DeEtta: I used cotton Christmas fabric to make each of my daughters a tree skirt. I did use flannel in between the layers of the cotton fabric though and the edges looked really good after I clipped and washed them.

You know that sounds like it might help a lot as the flannel is heavier than the cotton and will curl and make the cotton curl too. Thanks for the great tip I might try it one more time. Will let you know how it turns out. Am determined to get one made to my satisfaction. Ellie

nursie76 09-21-2010 08:26 AM

Funny you should mention weed whacker! John Flynn (maker of the Flynn frame) actually uses a weed whacker to fluff the edges of his rag quilts. Check out the description here (you need to scroll down the page a little).:

http://www.flynnquilt.com/workshop/FreeLessons/

I also googled it and apparently he demoed it on a Fons & Porter episode. Perhaps you can find it.

Good luck.

AliKat 09-21-2010 08:54 AM

I know I made mine with flannel and it did really well.

A friend had given me the quilt snips for rag quilts and it was so much better than just using my scissors.

I also took the finished quilt to the laundromat ... got it wet ... and put it in the large dryer without any heat. Funny: a little Vietnamese woman saw it in the dryer and kept saying "is broken" as I kept pulling out the lint/threads. when I finally got it where I wanted it I actually dried it and showed it to her. She loved the quilt.

I'd never use my own drier. I don't want to hurt it with all the lint/threads. The laundromat is perfect for this.

ali

dungeonquilter 09-21-2010 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by zoey
Great tips thank you and what brush are you talking about?

Any stiff brush will work. They do sell one just for it, but I use an toothbrush with stiff bristles that I bought by mistake.