Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Help With Ruffles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-ruffles-t295482.html)

Butterbean's 03-14-2018 05:41 AM

Need Help With Ruffles

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I was hoping to get some help. I am working on a quilt with a premade ruffle binding. Best I can tell I should've attached the binding by sandwiching it between layers before quilting but I didn't. I got my quilt quilted then went to attach the binding as I always do. I got it wrapped around and sewn on just fine, but I can't figure out how to join the ends! Nothing is working. Does anyone have ideas? This is just a premade ruffle binding from Hobby Lobby. I normally just make binding strips myself and have never worked with ruffles so this is new to me. Thank you!

Geri B 03-14-2018 05:52 AM

I'm presuming this riffled bindings goes around the whole quilt and all you are asking is joining beginning to end.....I don't know anything about ruffle binding, but just of the top of my head...turn under a 1/4" at beginning and when you get to beginning again, turn under1/4", sew by hand, then join two pieces together by hand??????just a guess......

Tartan 03-14-2018 05:58 AM

I might make a design feature.

Tartan 03-14-2018 06:08 AM

Okay, it won't let me correct first post so I will try again. I might make it a design feature. I would bring one end over the other and curl the long edge into a rose or circle and hand stitch it to the quilt top. You could also sew a little section of matching fabric over the ends and use it as a label. A couple little rose buds or ribbons added to dress it up.

Rhonda K 03-14-2018 06:22 AM

Can you post a picture of the quilt and ruffle binding?

Did you sew the ruffle to back of quilt and bring around to the front?

I would tuck one end of ruffle into the other end of ruffle. Fold back the top ruffle inside to create a hem and stitch together.

Good luck!

Butterbean's 03-15-2018 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 8021445)
I'm presuming this riffled bindings goes around the whole quilt and all you are asking is joining beginning to end.....I don't know anything about ruffle binding, but just of the top of my head...turn under a 1/4" at beginning and when you get to beginning again, turn under1/4", sew by hand, then join two pieces together by hand??????just a guess......

Yes it goes all the way around. It is basically 2 layers of fabric on each side with the ruffle between them, all sewn together. I will do my best to post a picture later. I homeschool 3 kids and also have a 3 year old so I didn't have time to yesterday. I read on another website to just pick the seams of each end, turn them under and stitch them back together. But that has not worked. I think a picture will help more than anything so I will definitely make sure to do that today. Thank you all!

Butterbean's 03-15-2018 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K (Post 8021457)
Can you post a picture of the quilt and ruffle binding?

Did you sew the ruffle to back of quilt and bring around to the front?

I would tuck one end of ruffle into the other end of ruffle. Fold back the top ruffle inside to create a hem and stitch together.

Good luck!

The tutorial I found said to use a 1 step method, so I didn't attach it to the back and bring it around. I knew better... I always always attach binding to the back and bring it around to the front. I just encased the quilt and attached it to both sides at once. I'm definitely going to post a picture today. Thank you all!