Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with Singer touch & sew zigzag model 758 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-singer-touch-sew-zigzag-model-758-a-t86866.html)

GwynR 01-01-2011 05:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The New Year is off to a bad start. My Pfaff needs to be taken in and this is my backup! I had so much trouble with the bobbin on this one last time I used it that its been put away for 3 or 4 years. If the bobbin is wound correctly it sews wonderfully. Unfortunately even with the manual I managed to wind it correctly only half the time. To make it worse I have only one bobbin for this and wasted a lot of thread trying to get it to work.
Does anyone have one of these and how do I wind the bobbin correctly? :-(

model
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151402[/ATTACH]

machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151403[/ATTACH]

drop in bobbin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151404[/ATTACH]

thepolyparrot 01-01-2011 05:44 PM

You have to push that tab with the "bullseye" to the left and leave that slide plate open while the bobbin winds.

The machine should be threaded as if for sewing and set up for straight stitching - make sure you're not on the Buttonhole setting.

Raise the presser foot, pull a couple of inches of thread through the needle and wrap it around the screw that holds the presser foot on and hold on to the end of that thread, turn the speed to "Slow" and push the foot pedal or knee lever to start the bobbin winder.

Run it steadily, not fast, until the bobbin fills to the fill line. (on the bobbin, it's the second line in from the outside, I think)

Then you close the slide plate, which pushes the bobbin winding tab backing into normal sewing position, pull a couple of inches of slack thread though the needle plate and start sewing.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I will dig out my T&S.

The gears on these later T&S machines are self-destructing nylon and pretty much disintegrate at some point. If you haven't had the gears replaced on it, it might be failing gears that's causing you so much trouble.

krabadan 01-01-2011 05:47 PM

I have one too. It was my mother's but I don't use it. Do you need a manual? I could make you a copy. I know what you mean about the bobbin though.

krabadan 01-01-2011 05:48 PM

They sell the bobbins at Joann's

GwynR 01-01-2011 06:13 PM

Thanks so much!!! I just love this board!!! I may not have been turning it to slow previously when winding it. It is stitching pretty well right now. We will see if I can wind it correctly twice in a row in a little bit. I have the manual somewhere, just not sure where it is right now. Will be making a trip to Joann's soon too!
Thanks again!

Diamondrose 01-01-2011 06:16 PM

I have a 758 that I use all the time. The original bobbins that came with my machine work great. If you purchase new bobbins they will not wind properly, including the ones I bought that were Singer. The plastic is not as heavy on them as the original ones. The bobbins with the white bottom won't wind properly either. However, I can sew with both of them if I wind them by hand. Make sure there is no lint in there and oil the channel. If the bobbin case is not in right it won't work either.

thepolyparrot 01-01-2011 06:24 PM

I'm so glad you got it running! I can email you a copy of my 750 manual if you want it - just send me a private message. It's a little bit different from the 758, but it might be handy to have on your computer.

Buying bobbins for the T&S is tricky - there are bobbins that look identical and you think you're getting the right ones. I think they're the ones made for the Athena line of machines. I bought them at Joann and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't work. :mrgreen:

GwynR 01-01-2011 06:27 PM

I wonder if a separate bobbin winder would do better than the machine itself? I bought it used and am not sure if the bobbin is the original or not.

Diamondrose 01-01-2011 06:34 PM

I have no idea if they make a bobbin winder for that type of bobbin - but somehow I doubt that they do.

sewwhat85 01-01-2011 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
You have to push that tab with the "bullseye" to the left and leave that slide plate open while the bobbin winds.

The machine should be threaded as if for sewing and set up for straight stitching - make sure you're not on the Buttonhole setting.

Raise the presser foot, pull a couple of inches of thread through the needle and wrap it around the screw that holds the presser foot on and hold on to the end of that thread, turn the speed to "Slow" and push the foot pedal or knee lever to start the bobbin winder.

Run it steadily, not fast, until the bobbin fills to the fill line. (on the bobbin, it's the second line in from the outside, I think)

Then you close the slide plate, which pushes the bobbin winding tab backing into normal sewing position, pull a couple of inches of slack thread though the needle plate and start sewing.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I will dig out my T&S.

The gears on these later T&S machines are self-destructing nylon and pretty much disintegrate at some point. If you haven't had the gears replaced on it, it might be failing gears that's causing you so much trouble.

i used to have this machine and she is right on