Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help for special wall hanging (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-special-wall-hanging-t211385.html)

QuiltingKrazy 01-19-2013 07:55 AM

Need help for special wall hanging

2 Attachment(s)
I am the "baby"sister with three older sisters. My closest sister, Wanda, is 7yrs older than me but we have always been so close. She lives in FL our home town and I live in NC so we don't get to visit often enough. She has always had more health issues than any of us. Recently she had a cancerous kidney removed with great success. Here is a picture of the two of on The Great Smokey Mountain Train ride last October. We had a great time together. Then the other day she posted this picture on her facebook page not to long ago with this comment....

April showers bring May flowers.
Apriil 16, 2013 I will be a one year cancer survivor. Praying by May my new healing will be totally flowering! Thanks be to God.

Her birthday is April 4th, SO... I want to make this little picture of flowers into a small wall hanging and I am not sure how to go about it. I don't do applique to often or creating my own templates. So if any one has a technique or link for a technique I could "ATTEMPT" to follow I would e grateful!

I do have EQ7 but still haven't learn have to do many things with it. I don't know if I could use EQ somehow to create this.. thanks for any advice, tutes, links!

Billie G 01-19-2013 08:10 AM

You might think about using tumbler blocks, in various colors, for the pots- bias tape &/or rick rack for the stems, and pretty little flower buttons for the blooms. As you can tell, I'm a little (?) challenged, in some areas. LOL

mighty 01-19-2013 08:24 AM

I am so glad to hear your sister is doing well!!! Those flowers and pots would be really pretty appliqued. Any other methods I just am not sure of!!!

OKLAHOMA PEACH 01-19-2013 08:26 AM

I don't have an EQ, can you scan picture bottom into program on a grid?? If so I would start there and see the squares.

hybearn8er 01-19-2013 08:28 AM

How about using heat and bond on some different fabrics and just cutting shapes then use some bias tape for the stems and finnally some silk flowers for the flowers since it's a wall hanging.

ktbb 01-19-2013 09:05 AM

I'd take the picture to a copy shop and have them enlarge it to the size I wanted....then use that as the master and trace off each piece of what I want to have identical in shape/size. Find fabric that you want to use for each of the components - pots, stems, leaves, flowers, etc. - and get ready to fuse. Since i'm not one to worry about a perfecty match, I don't worry about printing or tracing in reverse to make the finished picture come out perfect - I trace from the front directly onto paper backed fusible and when the picure is done, it's the reverse of the original, in this case, the round, blue and white pot on the left would end up on the right...as one of the other posters said, you can do some fun 3-d stuff with the picure - rickrack for stems/flowers, etc.

I've done this process many times - it's fun and easy. Since it's to be a wall hanging, probably, you don't even have to stitch around the pieces if you don't want to, tho stitching ca really make it stand out. Put it together by fusing first, then look at it for a bit to see where, if at all, you need to stitch.

QuiltingKrazy 01-19-2013 11:01 AM

ktbb - thank you ! I'm gonna give me best try!

mpspeedy2 01-19-2013 11:12 AM

I agree with taking the picture to a copy shop. Enlarge it and have it color photo copied on to fabric. Than use the fabric like a panel and just put borders of perhaps a floral fabric print that has the same colors. Than quilt around the motifs and simply in the border. Once you had the center panel made the rest could be done in a very short amount of time. Good luck.

downeastquilter 01-19-2013 11:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I recently started a wall-hanging project using techniques/methods just as ktbb has suggested. I cut each flower petal from yellow and gold fabrics which I had prepared with a fusible backing. I traced the original photograph again on a thin interfacing; then fused all the petals to that. Now the flower and leaves are one unit. Next I plan to fuse it to the background, machine applique the edge and then somehow figure out how to do some thread stitching to add details (veins, dimension, etc.) The light leaf on the right is holding me up.. I'm thinking I need a different green for that.. or try to use fabric paint, or something. I'll try to add the original photo and work in progress.[ATTACH=CONFIG]389222[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]389220[/ATTACH]