Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-t104143.html)

BKrenning 03-01-2011 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by mommamac
does it have to be organic? If you recycle some clothes would that be considered 'green'? Maybe you could get some of mom's tops & dad's shirts.

This is exactly my thoughts. I call the rag quilt I made for hubby "green" because I used recycled everything except thread--shirts, jeans & batting scraps.

I also made a baby quilt with scraps of flannel and a leftover piece of fleece for the backing. I had just enough different colors of flannel to make 5" Trip Around the World block pattern with it.

deranged_damsel 03-01-2011 08:26 PM

Fleece is made out of soda bottles, so its "GREEN" also ;)

RST 03-01-2011 09:00 PM

Seattle is very "green" territory, so I'll throw my perspective into the mix. A lot of the new hip/green moms around here would be very into wool batting. It's really nice to work with too. And while pricey, not as expensive as bamboo batts.

I guess it really depends on the individual couple as to how well they would like a baby quilt made out of recycled clothing from a thrift store. A lot of new parents are a little on the squeamish side when it comes to anything used touching their newborn (not as big an issue if it's from a family member). So you'd have to be the judge of that.

RST

OneMoreQuilt 03-01-2011 09:35 PM

I also thing an all cotton quilt would be considered green.

jeanneb52 03-02-2011 05:53 AM

Isn't cotton GREEN?

catmcclure 03-02-2011 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick
My goddaughter and her dh are expecting their first child and they are GREEN. I've been online looking for organic quilting fabric with no luck. There are no juvenile prints and the prices are out of this world (and my pocketbook). Anybody got any ideas? I plan on using bamboo batting. The shower is in June. Help me.

Green doesn't just mean using "organic" products. It also means to reuse, repurpose and save things from the past without using new items. So, using 100% cotton fabric from used clothing would also be "Green".

sew_sew 03-02-2011 06:03 AM

If they are going green with the baby, will they use cloth diapers. Much available for babies is not available "green", but I have seen organic cotton batting.

jeanneb52 03-02-2011 06:09 AM

Isn't cotton GREEN?

okiepastor 03-02-2011 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by jeanneb52
Isn't cotton GREEN?

Cotton is ordinarily grown with TONS of pesticides (think boll weevil, etc.).
I once fed cotton seeds to my goats, and had some customers--and my daughter--- react badly to the milk. Thank heavens not all my goats had freshened, so only a few were "contaminated" by the cottonseed feed!Those had their milk dumped for months....
I agree--the GREEN solution is to re-use and re-purpose--so I would re-cycle fabrics.

#1piecemaker 03-02-2011 06:43 AM

I don't have a clue about this, but a little more than a yard shouldn't set you back too far. Personally, I would think something that was made outof 100 % cotton should be green enough.