Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-t117021.html)

gellybean402 04-18-2011 08:46 AM

Can someone point me in the direction of how to decide what to charge for longarm quilting? I have my first customer and she made the top and backing and just wants it quilted. She only wants a simple stitch in the ditch because the top is so busy to begin with. Any ideas of what to charge for doing this?
The top is about a double size. Thanks for any input!

ckcowl 04-18-2011 09:11 AM

long-arm quilting prices vary greatly by location- also your skill level- time involved...it always cracks me up when someone says- a simple stitch in the ditch=since stitch in the ditch is one of the most time consuming/difficult quilting patterns...and usually costs alot more than an all over (panto) design.
some quilters charge by the square inch- and that varies from about 1 1/2 cents up to 3 1/2 cents per square inch- some quilters charge by the project- basing their prices on size and time involved---they generally have a base and the price climbs from their depending on the job.
it would be in your best interest to do some research- call around and ask what the going rate is in your area. what may cost $45 in one area could easily cost $200 some where else. if you are going to base your price on the project itself- decide what your time is worth(i charge $20 an hour just for sewing)
good luck

JCquilts 04-18-2011 09:17 AM

I agree, but you have to start somewhere.

When I was a very beginner, I charged 1.5 cents per square inch no matter what I did..panto, custom, stitch in the ditch.

I soon realized that all quilting is not equal...

It takes sooo much more time to do stitch in the ditch than even a complicated panto...

At 1.5 cents a square inch, I generally end up getting about $10 - $12 per hour for pantos by the time you add all the time to load the quilt. I have never made that much from custom quilting...I guess Im just too particular and it takes me a very long time to complete to MY satisfaction.

And I also am not charging for thread. Some LA Quilters add that to the per square inch price.

Hope you are ble to settle on a fair price for you efforts and area.

KathyAire 04-18-2011 09:17 AM

I agree with ckcowl, there is no such thing as 'simple stitch in the ditch' on a longarm, unless I've been living under a rock somewhere.

EIQuilter 04-18-2011 09:22 AM

I'd probably charge around 3 cents per square inch at a minimum, as SID is very time consuming. It would make a difference, though, as to how many pieces are in each block - if it's a fairly simple block with large pieces, it would be easier than a more complex block with 144 pieces! Have you suggested an edge-to-edge/overall pattern to her? That's what I generally suggest when the top is so busy the quilting won't show very much.