Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-t210217.html)

Anniedeb 01-05-2013 09:39 PM

Need Help!!

I am machine quilting a wallhanging that is a window-pane design. It is divided into four squares. The squares are appliqued birds on tree limbs. I used an off white/shell colored fabric for the background. Sashing and borders are brown, red and multi colored "tail-feather" fabric. My quilt backing is dark brown. The birds are quilted, and I SID around the panels. Now I want to crosshatch each panel, using off white thread. My problem is that the bobbin thread shows on each stitch, making it look like polka dots. I have tried adjusting my thread tension one hundred ways to Sunday, but I can't seem to figure it out. I'd post pics, but sadly I don't even own a camera!! I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer! I've learned so much reading and viewing everyone's work, I'm hoping it's a "well duh!!!" answer...as in I should have been able to figure this out myself!!! Thanks!!

irishrose 01-05-2013 10:24 PM

My first thought is a too big a needle - try a 12 or b) a burr on the needle from hitting something. If it's a tension problem, you need to tighten the bobbin tension if the bobbin thread is showing on the top.

apiarist 01-05-2013 11:18 PM

Whenever I have this problem I just use invisible thread in both the top and bottom. Some say that it is difficult to get the correct tension with this thread, but I haven't had any problem using my Bernina. Good luck.

PaperPrincess 01-06-2013 05:28 AM

Since it's a wall hanging, do you really care what the back looks like? I would just use the off white in the bobbin too.

eparys 01-06-2013 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5765980)
Since it's a wall hanging, do you really care what the back looks like? I would just use the off white in the bobbin too.

I agree. I would as well use same top and bottom. If you loosen the tension you will get light specks on the back - if you tighten is you will get dark specks on the top and a perfect tension will still more than likely show dark specks on the top. I would use the light thread on the back and be done with it. I find this problem even on my Mid Arm and for that reason have gone to using same top and bottom.

Prism99 01-06-2013 08:52 AM

You could also use invisible thread just in the bobbin. That would eliminate the polka dots. If you use invisible thread, it's important to purchase a good brand. I have had no problems at all using YLI monofilament nylon, which has about the diameter of a hair (.003 mm). Some brands of nylon thread are so thick they are more like fishline. A lot of people have switched to invisible polyester thread instead of nylon, and that is easier to find in local shops.

Anniedeb 01-06-2013 01:30 PM

Thanks so much ladies! I tried a new needle, and the invisible thread, but in the light of day, found that just using the off white thread was the best way to go. I should have realized I was too tired to think straight, when I was having trouble seeing, went to remove my glasses, and realized I wasn't wearing them!!!