Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with totebag construction (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-totebag-construction-t114875.html)

lynnsim 04-09-2011 06:46 PM

I've been making raggy totebags for at least two years. I've gotten a little burned out making them. So, I decided to do some traditional totebags again. When I made them before, I added batting and did stitch in the ditch; they were around 12" x 14" x 4". Now, I want to try making some larger ones. I have one cut out approximately 15" x 17" x 5". I'm using a heavier vintage fabric and lining with cotton. My question is should I add batting? I am making these for a show next weekend and want them reasonably priced. So, my plans at first were not to add batting. Now, I'm wondering if they will be too limp? Also, does anyone have an idea of how much I can charge for them? They are nothing fancy, but I do have pockets inside.

gramarraine 04-09-2011 06:52 PM

I have made many bags over the past couple of years. You definately need to add batting or iron on fleece. I use iron on fleece on the outside and sf101 iron on woven interfacing made by pellon for the lining. They both need to be lined to give the bag the body it needs. They will hold up better and look better when completed with the lining. The better they look the more you can charge. I can't give you a price to charge because I think the area you live in will influence that. Good luck, I hope this will help.

lynnsim 04-09-2011 07:24 PM

Thanks, Lorraine, for your help. I will add batting to the bag. When I complete the tote, I'll post a photo.

crafty_linda_b 04-09-2011 07:27 PM

Lynn why don't you use some flannel as a filler? crafty_linda_b

Beebee 04-09-2011 07:43 PM

I made a lot of these for Christmas gifts this year. I used heavy pellon to give them some body. I also added a lining and a inside pocket on both sides. I used canvas for some of them and they were very well received...good luck with your show.

Beebee 04-09-2011 07:43 PM

I made a lot of these for Christmas gifts this year. I used heavy pellon to give them some body. I also added a lining and a inside pocket on both sides. I used canvas for some of them and they were very well received...good luck with your show.

sewingbysusan 04-09-2011 08:05 PM

I charged $ 35 for tote bags recently. the customer provided the outer fabric and I provided the rest. I use a heavy Pellon or Timtex interfacing so they will stand up by themselves.

lynnsim 04-09-2011 08:12 PM

Linda, I did think about using flannel for inside, but was afraid tote wouldn't be stiff enough.
For the ones who use batting, do you quilt the outside?
(I do add pockets to the inside.)

NancyG 04-09-2011 08:13 PM

I was in a local kitchen shop yesterday and a gal had made some nice tote bags with canvas lining with 2 large inside pockets about the size you are referring to. Very nice and heavy. She was charging $24.95.

lynnsim 04-09-2011 08:14 PM

Nancy, that sounds like a fair price for my area. I was hoping for at least $20. Oh, was she selling them? That's the true test, lol.