Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need help what am I doing wrong (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-what-am-i-doing-wrong-t258285.html)

moedersaar 12-15-2014 05:20 PM

need help what am I doing wrong

I am having a problem keeping 1/4" seam from start to finish, I use a starter and I do fine until I get to the end and I am off (an 8th,larger) from the start. You are so clever on this board I know some one can tell me what I need to do to stop this,

Eisy 12-15-2014 05:38 PM

Two things that have helped me.
1. I have a Pfaff 7570 sewing machine and I set the stitch length at 2 instead of 2.5.
2. Start sewing on a scrap of fabric (about an 1" X 1" folded in half), than right onto your seam. At the end again sew onto a small scrap of fabric.

cjsews 12-15-2014 05:40 PM

Try using something to guide the last of the fabric under the feed dogs. Whether you use a seam ripper, chop stick or whatever. The fabric tends to go in at an angle at the end when we are not controlling it. Maybe this will help.

PaperPrincess 12-15-2014 05:44 PM

Two things. Sounds like you are using a leader scrap, you should also use an ender to sew off onto. Second. don't, watch the needle, watch the fabric as it feeds against your foot or whatever you are using for a gauge. It's not too hard if you are sewing straight pieces, but you need to be more careful if you are sewing triangles or other shaped pieces. A stiletto helps.

Honchey 12-15-2014 05:55 PM

I also tend to have the same problem and it happens when I even use a guide..I found that I have a tendency to let my finger stay on the fabric and my finger bumps up against the foot and it actually moves the fabric away from the needle..I need to keep my finger more to the left side of the fabric away from the presserfoot..but at the same time perpendicular to the guide as it's sewing...If your not using a guide it might be that the fabric is being shifted because you don't realize you're pushing it over as it's being fed to the needle...it might also be that you're letting go of the fabric to soon and the feed dogs just take...Hope what I don't do right might help you...

noahscats7 12-15-2014 06:23 PM

Tape on the bed of the machine to follow helps me most.

ontheriver 12-16-2014 06:09 AM

I use a magnetic seam guide right next to the foot. One of the best gadgets I ever bought.

Geri B 12-16-2014 06:17 AM

Do you have the 1/4" foot with the little ledge to keep the fab edge up against? That might be a good investment if you don't already use one. Slow down on the "gas pedal"! Use a stilletto or ripper or shishkabob( my choice) to hold that fab and an ender........

NJ Quilter 12-16-2014 06:22 AM

I keep my finger on top of the fabric and hold my finger to the edge of the foot all the way to the end of the seam. Works for me.

bearisgray 12-16-2014 08:18 AM

I use a stlleto, toothpick, long straight pin - whatever - to hold the fabric/ quide it - the last inch or so - the holder is almost under the needle as that last bit is sewn.

some say that using a single hole needlrplate also helps. the downside to using that is to straight stirch ONLY - otherwise one ends up with broken or bent needles.