Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need ideas for 16 patch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-ideas-16-patch-t22583.html)

SaraSewing 07-10-2009 06:22 AM

I have a stack of 16 patch blocks (4 across, 4 down) all made from darker multi colored scraps. I lost the pattern that I was going to use them for. I have searched for ideas, and so far haven't found anything that would work. Each little square is 2 1/2 inches, making the square 8 1/2 now, (8 inches finished). Does anyone have ideas?

thimblebug6000 07-10-2009 06:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one I made, no pattern just scraps, it might give you an idea.

scrappy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]40660[/ATTACH]

sewjoyce 07-10-2009 06:35 AM

Wow thimblebug -- that is a pretty quilt!! And all those HSTs.....remarkable!

Tippy 07-10-2009 06:36 AM

Ohhhh, I like that!!

omak 07-10-2009 06:46 AM

I am wondering if you hadn't planned on putting a snowball block in between each of your sixteen patch blocks.
WIth the border around the blocks, that sort of changed the direction you may have been heading toward.
As the quilt is currently, I think you might want to put on one more border around it and have a very colorful, scrappy quilt ... that is one good job of piecing ... quite inspirational, actually!
Thank you for sharing your creativity with us, and congratulations on getting a WIP closer to goal.
just thinking .... you could even make the quilt bigger, if you want to, by putting novelty fabric blocks in between ...
I have also seen quilts that used half square triangles, alternating directions to create what looks to be a square framing each block that looks like it has been turned on point.
A snowball block would also acheive that with the size of the points on the side of your blocks poking out into the light background large or small depending on the size of your corner squares for your snowball ...
is that all about as clear as mud?

littlehud 07-10-2009 07:16 AM

That is a beautiful quilt. So bright and inviting. Great job.

crkathleen 07-10-2009 07:48 AM

Great job thimblebug. I'm afraid of doing scrappy but this looks like an organized scrappy. I do believe it is doable for me. Thanks!

Mamagus 07-10-2009 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes I do!! Let me see if I can find the picture!

You make four blocks to counter the 16 patch. Isn't it beautiful? Better Homes and Gardens _ American Patchwork and Quilting August 2008

Ducky 07-10-2009 07:55 AM

Thimble, I really like the way you did your quilt. I like that you have hst's here and there throughout -- and I love the alternating borders around the 16 patches. Looks very inviting and comfortable.

bluebird 07-10-2009 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mamagus shows a really pretty and quick quilt that goes together wonderfully. Someone else posted a similar one when I posted mine. Is a real nice looking quilt, I used the pattern from the mag. that she shows. Different color options sure make it look different. :D