Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need ideas on how to quilt this (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-ideas-how-quilt-t286284.html)

koko 02-22-2017 05:50 AM

Need ideas on how to quilt this

1 Attachment(s)
This embroidered piece needs to be quilted - I'd love to do crosshatch but is that even possible without running over all the stitches that I've already created and making it look hodgepodge-y? Any suggestions or other options would be appreciated.

sewingitalltogether 02-22-2017 06:00 AM

Hand quilt it. It's small and won't take much time. Plus you don't want machine stitches on you nice hand embroidery.

feline fanatic 02-22-2017 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether (Post 7769761)
Hand quilt it. It's small and won't take much time. Plus you don't want machine stitches on you nice hand embroidery.

100% agree with this. It would be very difficult to machine quilt this piece with cross hatch. With all the starts and stops it will be much easier and less stressful to hand quilt it. Lovely handwork in your embroidery. So let it shine with some nice hand quilting too.

minibarn 02-22-2017 06:29 AM

Seems to me any type of machine quilting would be tedious since it's a small piece, but I wonder if you could do like and outline stitch around the embroidery then cross hatch from there (if that makes sense). Personally I would hand quilt it also, if you like to or are able.

Very nice quilt.

dunster 02-22-2017 06:49 AM

I completely agree with hand quilting. Since it's a small piece, and likely to be on a wall, I don't think it needs a lot of quilting to hold it together, but denser quilting will help make the dimensional pieces pop. Use a thread color that matches the background. If you do crosshatch, I would suggest doing it on the diagonal so that the lines don't compete with the vertical lines of the embroidery. You do lovely work.

Bobbielinks 02-22-2017 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7769824)
I completely agree with hand quilting. Since it's a small piece, and likely to be on a wall, I don't think it needs a lot of quilting to hold it together, but denser quilting will help make the dimensional pieces pop. Use a thread color that matches the background. If you do crosshatch, I would suggest doing it on the diagonal so that the lines don't compete with the vertical lines of the embroidery. You do lovely work.

Dunster, said it all and I totally agree.

QuiltnNan 02-22-2017 07:10 AM

i'm not a hand quilter, but would definitely consider that as the go to method here

DJ 02-22-2017 07:23 AM

I think you have some great answers here. Just want to say I think it's lovely!

ArtsyOne 02-22-2017 07:42 AM

Since there really isn't room to quilt inside the embroidery, I would do what was suggested above and do the cross-hatching around the center on a diagonal. Really pretty embroidery piece!

cricketlimes 02-22-2017 09:33 AM

I hand quilt all of my pieces that have any kind of applique or embroidery as to not take any attention away from what's important. Very nice work.