Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need ideas for practice pieces (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-ideas-practice-pieces-t239263.html)

thyme2quilt 01-20-2014 12:54 PM

Need ideas for practice pieces

I'm a new longarmer and I've been practicing my stitches and designs on stash fabric. Now I have a stack of "quilted" practice pieces. I'm hoping to find a use for them instead of adding to the landfill. Any ideas out there?

Tartan 01-20-2014 01:19 PM

First of all, keep one so you can look back on it to see how you've improved. I saw a link where a longarmer made a sample book out of hers that she continues to add to for reference. They always need matts for dog kennels. Put them together QAYG style for a full size donation quilt for the homeless. Make a quilted cover for your sewing machine. Make a large carryall for your cutting matt......

PaperPrincess 01-20-2014 01:22 PM

I agree with Tartan. Cut them into squares or rectangles and join using a QAYG technique. Make some travel quilts for your car or truck, picnic quilts are good too!

charsuewilson 01-20-2014 03:06 PM

Sew them into a rag quilt. Rag the edges.

amelia0607 01-20-2014 03:32 PM

My first thought was for shelters - either human or animal. Then I remembered the old play quilt that I had growing up. My mom kept this quilt in the car to wrap up antique furniture she purchased for her shop. But when we were home, I was allowed to use it in my yard for picnics with my dolls or if the boys were outside, we would play cars on it. She doesn't purchase antique much anymore but she still keeps an old quilt in her car.

So you could maybe give it to a teacher for outdoor reading time or to a parent for a child's playtime.

Lori S 01-20-2014 04:10 PM

They make great insides for potholders. Use them for "insides" of other quilts.

momto5 01-20-2014 05:11 PM

I donate my practice pieces to my local animal shelter...they're needed and so appreciated!

Boston1954 01-20-2014 05:40 PM

Yes, give them to the puppies.

thyme2quilt 01-20-2014 08:44 PM

Thanks so much for the ideas. I like the dog bed suggestions:)

AliKat 01-21-2014 07:45 AM

I agree, keep a small piece of your beginning work so you can actually see how you are improving over time.

I got help from a LA friend so I didn't have problems with tension issues, then I quilted charity quilts. Those receiving these quilts are definitely NOT the quilt police. Two of my groups have enough quilts available for me to quilt. Enough that I share with some of my HQ friends.

All small scraps go into a pillow slip for the humane society - that's puppies and kitties. I got the material ffor the pillow slips rom a place that sells upholstery fabric for $1/yard as the fabric was outdated and hadn't sold. Once the owner knew it was for the animals. I am giving some of the pillow slips to friends so we can fill them sooner.