Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Ideas for Quick Christmas Gifts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-ideas-quick-christmas-gifts-t172099.html)

txstitcher 12-15-2011 08:03 AM

Need Ideas for Quick Christmas Gifts

Yes, I have procrastinated and now I only have ONE weekend till Christmas!

I need to make 3 handmade gifts for my family. The 3 ladies are all seasoned quilters (I'm the novice quilter and sewer). I can sew a straight line.

Any suggestions for what to make?

Thanks!!

fivepaws 12-15-2011 08:06 AM

There are a lot of cute pincushion patterns out there now. Take a look bet you won't even need a pattern. Those are quick and always needed. Good Luck.

aneternalpoet 12-15-2011 08:09 AM

How about the proverbial potholders, or casserole carriers using only2 fat quarters?- I found a cool link /tutorial for that - so easy, and straight lines really don't matter, cuz there are only a few 1/2 inch seams to sew with it!

QuiltE 12-15-2011 08:14 AM

Really hard to know what to suggest, when you didn't give us a budget, other than your time crunch budget!

Does it have to be something sewn?
I often opt for those Mix-In-A-Jar mixes? I have the ingredients in my home and they are easily put together.
Fill up the jars, and then put a circle of fabric on the top, tied on with a pretty ribbon!

Or a Mug Rug along with a jar of homemade Hot Chocolate or Mocha Mix?

Or a Mug Rug all by itself.

Minnisewta 12-15-2011 08:20 AM

check out microwave potato bags.

BellaBoo 12-15-2011 08:22 AM

here is an easy but looks complicated table runner: http://www.quiltbug.com/Free/table-topper.htm I made lots of these one year and after the first one, it takes no time to make it. Make the first one for yourself as it is the learning one. LOL. For me anyway it was.

Tartan 12-15-2011 08:23 AM

What quilter doesn't like fabric? Do the fat quarter in a plastic bottle trick. You take a plastic water bottle and carefully remove the paper label and set it aside. Punch a small slit with an exacto knife under where the label goes and let the water drain out. Finish cutting the water bottle in half along the puncture line. Dry out the two halves and let sit a bit untill fully dry. Fold up a fat quarter of water fabric and put it into the water bottle. Put the top half of the water bottle back together and seal the slit with strong tape. Carefully place the original label back on the bottle and glue it along the seam. They will wonder how you got it in there with the water bottle seal still intact and they have a great piece of fabric to add to their stash.

JulieR 12-15-2011 08:31 AM

Think of things that will have meaning. For instance, my grandmother passed away this year and I have all of her sewing things, so I am making two small Christmas tree wallhangings using Grandma's buttons as ornaments. These will be for my mother and sister. They don't take more than a couple of hours each and aren't difficult to do, but they will have a special meaning to the recipients.

karen924 12-15-2011 08:47 AM

Fabulous idea!!!!!!

This is the coolest presentation for a fat quarter ever!
Thank you!

UOTE=Tartan;4783406]What quilter doesn't like fabric? Do the fat quarter in a plastic bottle trick. You take a plastic water bottle and carefully remove the paper label and set it aside. Punch a small slit with an exacto knife under where the label goes and let the water drain out. Finish cutting the water bottle in half along the puncture line. Dry out the two halves and let sit a bit untill fully dry. Fold up a fat quarter of water fabric and put it into the water bottle. Put the top half of the water bottle back together and seal the slit with strong tape. Carefully place the original label back on the bottle and glue it along the seam. They will wonder how you got it in there with the water bottle seal still intact and they have a great piece of fabric to add to their stash.[/QUOTE]

GrannieAnnie 12-15-2011 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by txstitcher (Post 4783359)
Yes, I have procrastinated and now I only have ONE weekend till Christmas!

I need to make 3 handmade gifts for my family. The 3 ladies are all seasoned quilters (I'm the novice quilter and sewer). I can sew a straight line.

Any suggestions for what to make?

Thanks!!

At this late date?????????? RESERVATIONS!