Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need ideas for quilting my horse quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-ideas-quilting-my-horse-quilt-t283577.html)

Pam H 11-05-2016 06:05 PM

Need ideas for quilting my horse quilt

1 Attachment(s)
Please help me figure out how to quilt this one! I am drawing a blank. It is for my 3 year old granddaughter for Christmas. I quilt on my domestic machine.

mamagrande 11-05-2016 07:11 PM

I would crosshatch.. You wouldn't want to detract from the beautiful horses..

Bree123 11-05-2016 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would quilt each of the horses in a color that matches the fabric with one design & would quilt all the white in another design (in white thread). I'd do horseshoes in the sashing, possibly in a contrasting color.

Here are a few ideas for what you might consider for the quilting design (note: the bubbles would go all the way around the horse, it just was getting late):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]561670[/ATTACH]
I'd also embroider on an eye & a mouth on each horse in a dark colored floss/perle cotton. You could do that on the machine with embroidery/thread painting or could even hand stitch a simple French knot for the eye & a running stitch for the mouth. For some reason children seem much more enamored with 2-D animals when they have a "face".

bjchad 11-06-2016 04:05 AM

I think I would ditch around each horse and then quilt on a saddle and face and other details. Mane, hoofs, etc. then do a simple meander in the background of each block. I would probably ditch everything else except the light border. Might put a rope design through that. It's a great quilt!

toverly 11-06-2016 04:08 AM

To me a simple meander in white wouldn't distract from the pattern. I like that pattern.

quilter2theend 11-06-2016 06:59 AM

I agree with bjchad, keep it simple. Some of your designs over power the horses.

Barb in Louisiana 11-06-2016 06:59 AM

Since this quilt is for a girl, I would include hearts somewhere. That way you can tell her she will know you love her every time she sees the hearts. Following that theme...I would do some X O X O somewhere so you can tell her those are your hugs and kisses.

Tartan 11-06-2016 09:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Draw out your block on graph paper and try different designs with a Frixion pen. A quick iron of the paper and you can try something else. Here are some of mine[ATTACH=CONFIG]561693[/ATTACH]

Pam H 11-08-2016 06:10 PM

Thank you for all the helpful responses. I really like some of them!
The quilt is very heavy. I backed it with a cuddle fleece (minky type) and used white flannel for batting, thinking that it wouldn't be as heavy and bulky as regular batting. I think I was wrong about that. Anyway, I decided to do as little quilting as possible so that I don't mat down all the fuzziness of the minky. It is one of the swirly ones that looks like roses.
Thanks, again, for the help.