Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-ideas-t87228.html)

kreinhart742 01-02-2011 09:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have four items two are silk pillows that my dad and grandfather sent to my grandmother when they were in the service. The other two are doilies that were my great and great great grandmothers. One is over a hundred years old. One is in really bad condition.

I was thinking with the two silk pillows I could make a wallhanging collage with them and travel fabric, maybe copies of postcards or something.

Any idea would be great on how to keep these cherished items.

grandfather pillow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152462[/ATTACH]

father pillow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152463[/ATTACH]

doiles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152464[/ATTACH]

C.Cal Quilt Girl 01-03-2011 12:22 AM

How Sweet, not sure I wouldn't have them mounted and framed with all the protective etc. if not real large can do a collage with pictures and other momentos.

Tropical 01-03-2011 01:07 AM

I would frame them behind glass with a card telling their origin. Then I would pass them down through the family.

dglvr 01-03-2011 02:14 AM

Yeap I would probably frame them as well. They are beautifal.
Framing them would preserve them for many more years.
:thumbup:

Ann L 01-03-2011 02:43 AM

I would frame them as well. I did that with some of my grandmothers wedding dress.

Moonglow 01-03-2011 02:54 AM

I would probably put them under glass to preserve them. They've done well to last all this time without disintegrating (I think that's how it's spelt). They certainly are mementos from the past.

CompulsiveQuilter 01-03-2011 03:36 AM

Yes, I would say frame them. I am a picture framer --- and a word of caution. Choose a reputable framer that uses conservation techniques exclusively! I work at Michael's and that's what we do but many "box stores" and even "gallery" shops don't understand preservation mounting, etc. Also, it will be expensive, and worth it for generations to come.

greensleeves 01-03-2011 10:32 AM

The pillows from the service are somewhat rare, most haven't survived this long, plus the embroidery-no matter the condition-are special. To cut them up seems a shame, framing them as stated by others would be the best way to keep them.

kreinhart742 01-03-2011 11:49 AM

Thanks for the ideas, I was thinking with the pillows to use them in their entire and then add the other items placing them into a wallhanging. But seems the best way to preserve all of the items is the framing under special glass, I will see how I might do this

Parrothead 01-03-2011 04:17 PM

I have that same Mother pillow. I framed it with a picture of the soldier that sent it. WWI era. I also have some handerchiefs from the same era sent by the two brothrs that were in WWI that I plan on framing in the same way. They were my Great Uncles and I knew them both. Of course they were up in years when I was a little girl.