Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need ideas to take machine to class. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-ideas-take-machine-class-t195403.html)

stelluchi 07-23-2012 02:18 PM

I have the Sapphire 855 and I love it! I'll have to check with my local Viking dealer about the lighter version. I am limited to under 10 pounds. Thanks for letting me know.

crtwelvecats 07-24-2012 03:51 AM

I have light weight machines so I can take them anywhere with me. at classes it is mostly peicing so you don't need anything fancy I would suggest getting a cheapie from wal mart that is lighter just for classes. My small Janome is great for that.

KyKaren1949 07-24-2012 03:57 AM

I take my Featherweights to classes or workshops with me. I put them and my traveling kit of tools in a cart I bought at Staples. It's plenty wide enough to sit the machine down in it as well as all the tools, iron, pad and any fabric I might need. It works great with a tall handle to roll it in wherever I'm going.

Kath12 07-24-2012 04:00 AM

Some shops have a machine there that you can use if you make arrangements with them ahead of time

junegerbracht 07-24-2012 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by FranW (Post 5385759)
I also bought a Jem just for classes. It has been a lifesaver!

THe Jem is definately the way to go - in my regular quilting class at least half of students has purchased one.

dojo36 07-24-2012 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by susieqwva (Post 5385875)
I just purchased a Janome 3160 as a traveling machine. It weighs about 12 lbs. :)

I had a jem platinum for about 3 years, decided i wasn't too crazy about it so i just last week traded it back in to the dealer and bought a janome 3160 for traveling and i just love it. i pieced a bom on it the other day. i also have the problem of lifting much of anything, sure is heck to get old, isn't it. the employees at our local dealer are always more than willing to come out to our vehicle and haul in all our stuff and haul it back to the car when we're ready to go home. they are the best.
donna

Steady Stiching 07-24-2012 05:09 AM

This is why the old Singer featherweights are so cherished.

leighway 07-24-2012 05:46 AM

I have the usual complaints-hip replacement, knees with bone on bone and an ankle that is falling to the inside of my foot (pronating.) I'm only 65 but was psychologically starting to fall apart. I've always been a physically strong person but the pain can wear you down. I'd begun to feel like I was getting old and my options were reducing sharply...a wheel-chair was next.
I did two things. First, I bought one of those rubbermaid grey carts with wheels-about $100...the ones that the repair and audio visual folks would push around at corporate when I was there. I no longer have to make many trips from the car with groceries. The cart is lightweight, moves easily and I also move it from room to room to hold my cleaning supplies etc.
The second thing I did was take myself back to the gym and gently exercise 5 days a week. The body will regenerate more quickly than you can imagine. In just 8 weeks, I'm seeing amazing results. I can now stand for more than 5 minutes while in a store. I can roll over in bed and not drag myself. I can pick up my groceries and bend and put them away and not be breathing hard. And I am beginning to do things without thinking twice about them such as lifting a leg to stand on and get out of the car instead of the twirl park bench oof method of getting out of the car. No matter what the injury, one can find exercises to work around them.
I also have the Janome Gem which is just great but frankly I can pick up much heavier now. So, ladies (and guys) I'm betting exercise is coming last and maybe it would be a surprise for you if you would try it and find out, you're not helpless and hurt. You're much stronger than you think. Hope somebody gets inspired from this. Planet Fitness $10 per month.

Lady Diana 07-24-2012 06:31 AM

Janome 3160 for class....it only weighs 11.5 lbs. Also has the auto thread cutter for piecing!
Love it.
D in TX

quiltingshorttimer 07-24-2012 07:13 AM

I think Leighway and all the rest of you have hit on the solution--a lightweight machine does not have to cost a fortune. I got a $90 Brother at Walmart that sews just fine for my classes (I've even free motion quilted on it, but prefer not to as no speed regulator).

I also think Leighway is right--we all need to be moving those parts more! I bought a DVD for excercises you can do either standing or sitting as a start. Plus I'm still rehabbing a new knee so do water therapy 2X a week and weights at home---you don't have to buy hand weights--even canned food or a large sack of rice make good weights. You might be surprised!