Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need inexpensive sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-inexpensive-sewing-machine-t196916.html)

seazteddy 08-07-2012 01:15 AM

Need inexpensive sewing machine

I need an inexpensive sewing machine to take to class. I tried a viking for about $100. I took it back, it never worked right. I don't want to spend more than $100 if I can help it for something to ride in my car but I hate having to lift my 30-40 lb machine in and out of car. Any help, thanks.

NJ Quilter 08-07-2012 01:33 AM

Unless you need fancy stitches, how about a vintage singer? Some of the 15's have the nice wooden case and are not overly heavy. Or keep your eyes open for a featherweight at the right price. I got my fw for $40 and she's perfect. Great for classes.

WesternWilson 08-07-2012 02:11 AM

It is very hard to find a machine with any quality or flexibility in that price range, but you may want to check out used machines on Craigslist etc. It is out of your price range but I hear one of the class machines of choice these days is the Janome Jem Platinum.

ArtsyOne 08-07-2012 02:33 AM

Definitely check out Craigslist. I had the same problem as you - my trusty 35-year-old Kenmore is far too heavy for me to take to classes and for only $65 I found a newer lightweight Kenmore made by Janome (box says it's a 12102). Only draw-back is that FMQ is a pain because the feed dogs don't drop, but for sewing blocks it's fabulous.

Yarn or Fabric 08-07-2012 03:10 AM

I don't think any dealers will have a machine in that price range that you would like to be honest with you. What didn't you like about the Viking?
I agree with the others - check Craigslist but also check your local thrift stores - make sure you bring a needle, thread and a bit of fabric to try it out before you buy it ;) In my area, you can get a used sewing machine - even newer ones for less than $50, usually half that. If the weight is an issue, I'd suggest getting a wheeled case to take it to and from the car :)

janegb 08-07-2012 03:14 AM

I love Brother machines, they are very reasonable, lots of stitches on the new ones. Older ones I love the best from the 1950's.

Stitchnripper 08-07-2012 04:38 AM

I also love my mechanical Walmart version of the Brothers. I hear so many comments about how bad they are, but, I don't think lots of the comments come from people who even use them!!! I am VERY happy with all three that I use. One is over 8 years old and has given me zero problems and sews through anything. I also have three vintage singers and like them, but really do enjoy my Brother.

BellaBoo 08-07-2012 04:55 AM

Walmart machines are over $100. They sew fine for classes.

gollytwo 08-07-2012 05:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm devoted to my Jem Platinum - but it would be well outside your price cap.
I bought a pale blue small machine from Sears for $99. It's still in the box so can't give you personal experience but everything I read online was favorable.
It comes in pink and pale blue.

HillCountryGal 08-07-2012 05:10 AM

Like you, I needed a lightweight machine to haul around. Bought a Singer Basic at Wal-Mart for less than $100. The feed dogs don't drop, BUT it sews a wonderful stitch. I'm happy with it. This is the first Singer I've ever owned, having used Kenmore all my life. I did purchase a couple more feet for it, as it didn't come with all the ones I wanted.