Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need input on several different quilting machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-input-several-different-quilting-machines-t213257.html)

Beuhla 02-07-2013 07:15 PM

need input on several different quilting machines

I am looking at several options and would appreciate any input regading the baby lock jane and tiara, the brother nx-450q and the brother pq-1500s. I am new to fmq and not sure about these machines.

Dingle 02-07-2013 07:27 PM

I own the PQ-1500s and so do others on this board. Everyone loves their machine. Yes it is only a straight stich machine but you really don't need any other stitches. Do a search for the Brother and you will find a lot of posts. I'm very happy with my purchase and use it for piecing too. It just glides over bulky seams.

Dolphyngyrl 02-07-2013 08:01 PM

what do you have now and what features are you looking for, wider harp space. Are you having difficulties with your machine. All of those machines are great machines with good ratings, but what is you budget because a tiara and an NX-450Q are a wide price range. I like my brother dreamweaver and the sewing quilting one might be in your range if you are looking at the tiara. It has a wide harp, awesome lighting, and the muvit foot can't be beat, it is awesome. I did have the babylock espire which was the brother qc-1000 which is a couple models up from NX450Q and is now replaced by the laura ashley and I would also recommend that as well. The PQ1500S is popular and if you have another machine it might be a good choice for you

qltgrose 02-07-2013 08:32 PM

If a 9in harp machine is what you are looking for also check out the Pfaff Grand Quilter, very similar to the 1500. Are you going to do machine quilting only on it? I loved the speed, but found the straight stitch limiting. I also missed my Pfaff on board walking foot for piecing. So I bought a mid size long arm to quilt and went back to a regular sewing machine for all my other sewing. Your best bet is to really analyze what you are wanting to do with it and then go and test drive as many as you can find!

mighty 02-07-2013 08:38 PM

I have the viking mega quilter, real work horse. I only peice on it now as I bought larger machine and frame for quilting.

AliKat 02-07-2013 09:09 PM

I am not sure about your request. Are you looking for a DSM that you can use for quilting? Are you looking for a DSM you can put on a frame, such as the New Joy frame? Or, are you looking for a mid- or long arm quilting machine?

What are your goals and your budget?

I know of a few quilters who had something like the mega quilter set up but then traded up to either a midarm or longarm quilting machine.

Rose Marie 02-08-2013 06:33 AM

I have a Baby Lock Jane and it is like going back to the stone ages. Complicated threading and a bobbin with a case.
Bought it for my long arm table since could not afford a long arm machine. It just sits now taking up lots of room till I can afford a long arm machine. Just to thread it, have to move it to the end of the table. Runs out of bobbin thread fast and since it is under the machine cannot see how much thread is left. Do not like it at all.
I have several cheap Brother machines that are great. Even have a cheap Brother embroidery machine that is great.
I love my Viking Sapphire which Ive had for about 5 years. It does everything except embroidery. No lifting the foot it is automatic up and down. In needle down it lifts the foot just enough to add another piece when you stop sewing. Love that feature. Nice 10 in throat also.

Beuhla 02-10-2013 03:46 PM

Thank you all for the great input. Based on reviews , my skill level and a realistic budget I ordered the Brother pq 1500S.
My friend is a laqter and had this machine as her first quilting machine on a nj frame. I would have loved to have gotten the sitdown laq machine but I'm going to see how I do with my new machine. I have a good dsm for other sewing needs. Thanks again. I love this website!