Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need IPad advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-ipad-advice-t226287.html)

jemma 07-22-2013 12:11 AM

need IPad advice

any suggestion for apps to use --free or small cost--quilting photos designing etc---thanks--any warnings

DebraK 07-22-2013 12:57 AM

The ipad is similar to a computer. You can go to any site. How well the site will work is another story.

KR 07-22-2013 04:23 AM

Go to the App Store and do a search for quilting.
Robert Kaufman has a quilting calculator app.
Superior Thread has a few reference apps for threads, etc.
I save our guild's newsletter to iBooks along with patterns found on websites.
Photos is a great place to store pics taken at quilt shows, etc. I take pics with my iPhone, then email them to myself and save to Photos.
If you subscribe to any publications they will probably have an app for a virtual edition.
Have fun....I LOVE my iPad!!!

romanojg 07-22-2013 04:44 AM

You can do a google search for apps that are compatible. Yes, the iPad or any other tablet are similar to a pc with the differences that you cannot install software to them and with the iPad you can't increase memory or storage using a SD card. I went with the Nook HD+ because I could increase storage and with more memory to start off with and a great additional warranty it was still less than half of the cost. There aren't as many apps for the androids yet but sites like craftsy.com are working on apps for the android. I would just search, I've always had good luck finding things that way even though sometimes it might take me a while it was worth the look. I know that I've gotten some nice apps from google store and from Barnes and Noble, who also makes a ereader app for iPad.

Sandygirl 07-23-2013 02:58 AM

My Ipad is 2 years old. I purchased the lowest storage and I still have not used it all. Itunes is the source for apps. Search the topics you are interested in. Read the reviews.

I use ibooks, Kindle for Ipad, (rarely use it), numbers for Excel,
The Weather Channel, Quilt Shop Finder, and on and on......calendar Mob, email (3 emails), the list goes on. Love me my Ipad!!!
Sandy

Misty's Mom 07-23-2013 04:57 AM

Love my iPad too. It goes with me just about everywhere. It's great to take to quilting club. I can look up whatever they're talking about (after signing onto the store's wifi) and also take notes. There are so many apps out there for the iPad and most of them are free.

rburnitt 07-23-2013 01:11 PM

Craftsy classes great on Ipad. Love my ipad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Misty's Mom 07-23-2013 02:20 PM

I might also add that my iPad is my photo album. I have pictures of my family, dog and especially pictures of my quilt inspirations :)

Sheri.a 07-23-2013 09:30 PM

I subscribe to quilting magazines. Many are $2 per magazine if you have a subscription.

i love using the iPad for reading the quilting board in bed at night. :o

Misty's Mom 07-23-2013 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by KR (Post 6189763)
Go to the App Store and do a search for quilting.
Robert Kaufman has a quilting calculator app.
Superior Thread has a few reference apps for threads, etc.
I save our guild's newsletter to iBooks along with patterns found on websites.
Photos is a great place to store pics taken at quilt shows, etc. I take pics with my iPhone, then email them to myself and save to Photos.
If you subscribe to any publications they will probably have an app for a virtual edition.
Have fun....I LOVE my iPad!!!

KR, if you turn on your photo stream in settings, you won't have to email the pics to yourself, they go to iCloud and transfer automatically. I just found this out recently as I was doing the same as you.