Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need a little help from my friends (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-little-help-my-friends-t276649.html)

Quilter 65 03-12-2016 10:10 AM

Need a little help from my friends

3 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]544629[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544630[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544631[/ATTACH]

This quilt as it is on the board is 56 x 56. I am designing as I go and I have had all kinds of math things to solve, which isn't my thing. I have tried a ribbon border, a tri-rec block in the upper right on the second picture and it is lost, then I have laid the focus fabric beside it. Should I add another row of blocks all around or just to top and bottom (I am wanting at least 60x80) or add a border and then a wider border of white and bind with focus fabric. It seems to me that the focus fabric is a bit heavy after all the white, but I am totally stumped. I have enough fabric to try a variety of things and enough kits to make some more blocks. Should I add a row to top and bottom, do a stop border and then white and bind in focus fabric and have some killer quilting in all the white?? Looking for ideas because I really need to move on to about 4 other projects that I have started and interrupted for this. Oh, and I tried about an inch of the piano keys for the stop border and not sure I am liking that either.

MadQuilter 03-12-2016 10:52 AM

I think you would see the ribbon better if the center were floating (i.e. have a narrow white border separating the two). Then end with a wider outer border and bind in the colorful fabric. It is beautiful.

Tartan 03-12-2016 11:05 AM

I like the first picture with the ribbon border. I would put a white narrow border after the ribbon border and maybe a wide border of the focus fabric. Pretty start!

Jeanne S 03-12-2016 11:18 AM

Pretty! To make it longer (not wider) I would add another row of Three stars on the top and bottom of the quilt, the same spacing inbetween the current top/bottom rows of 4 stars. (In other words duplicate your current 2nd row of three stars. I like your ribbon border without the piano key inner border. Just add a narrow white border, then the ribbon border. Wonder if you could do a scalloped outer edge/binding in the same shape shadow as the ribbon border too??

Quilter 65 03-12-2016 11:23 AM

How about a twisted ribbon block with the colors of the piano keys? I tried one and messed it up. Realize now what I did and could audition another one. Thought that would pick up the colors or just forget about it? Like the idea of a border between the ribbon and the quilt as well as the idea of blocks to the top and bottom. Keep the ideas coming, please. I am not there yet! Like the idea of scallops as that would look pretty and feminine. Just finished binding a quilt with scallops. Not too bad an experience. I think a curling ribbon might look better???

Jan in VA 03-12-2016 11:43 AM

I really like the ribbon border but feel it should be slightly larger, separated from the main part by a white narrow border, then separated again by a white narrow border from the wide main border.
It'a quite a lovely quilt!

Jan in VA

Silver Needle 03-12-2016 12:54 PM

I agree with Jan.

PaperPrincess 03-12-2016 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7492252)
I really like the ribbon border but feel it should be slightly larger, separated from the main part by a white narrow border, then separated again by a white narrow border from the wide main border.
It'a quite a lovely quilt!

Jan in VA

This gets my vote also!

ManiacQuilter2 03-12-2016 01:24 PM

I too agree with Jan. The ribbon border is just to close to the main quilt body.

kiffie2413 03-12-2016 01:28 PM

Madquilter and Jan gave excellent suggestions. I love that ribbon border, love it!!
I think it'll really stand out when separated just a bit from the main body of the quilt. Can't wait to see it when you're finished...it's already lovely.
Regards,
Kif