Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need opinion on quilting design (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-opinion-quilting-design-t204057.html)

kristakz 10-23-2012 05:46 PM

Need opinion on quilting design

3 Attachment(s)
I finally got up the nerve to load my big (king size) quilt onto my new long arm frame. I've had the long arm for about 3 months and have been practicing - done a bunch of baby quilts, a twin and a lap quilt plus a bunch of practice runs. I made this quilt, which essentially is composed of 255 5.5" squares. After considering my quilting options, I decided that I really wanted to quilt with dark thread on the dark sections, and light thread on the light sections - my quilting isn't that good, so I didn't want the strong contrast if I used a single colour and a pantograph. I decided to do interlocked circles (I know there's a name for this, but it escapes me).

Originally I had planned to do 4 of them in each block, but when I loaded the quilt, my brain got confused and the 4 seemed too small, so I started doing one large motif in each block. The stitching doesn't show up (at least that went as planned :) So I drew my pattern onto a piece of the quilt so you can see what I am doing. I'm a bit concerned now that the motif is too big and I should have stuck with the smaller ones. As I said, the blocks are 5.5", and there are 15 across and 15 down on the quilt. What do you think? Is this going to look OK in the end? I don't like really heavy quilting, so I hope it will be ok - but I'm having second thoughts every time I go down to work on it and I'm wondering if I should start over (I'm about 1/4 done now) or just keep plugging away.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]372030[/ATTACH]

This is the back of one block.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]372031[/ATTACH]

This was my original plan (but neater than this drawing).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]372036[/ATTACH]

spokanequilter 10-23-2012 05:57 PM

I like both of your motifs and either one would look great. Just depends on your personal preference. You said you didn't like heavy quilting, and I don't think I would call either of your motifs "heavy". I guess if I had to choose, I maybe like the interlocking circles better. I love the quilt.

Silver Needle 10-23-2012 06:39 PM

What does your batting suggest for distance between quilting lines. As long as your quilting is a little denser than that you should be fine. Sometimes less is more, especially if it suits your tastes.

TanyaL 10-23-2012 07:50 PM

Since you are asking, I like the larger motifs better, but I would have liked overlapping rectangles instead of leaf shapes since your beautiful quilt is rectilinear in design.

nonnie60 10-23-2012 08:29 PM

I like the larger motif. Nice job on the quilt. Post once it's done.

kristakz 10-24-2012 04:10 AM

Thanks all. The batting is Quilter's Dream Request - which is 8" between stitching so I'm fine there with either motif.

HillCountryGal 10-24-2012 04:37 AM

Like you, I prefer "less is better". Just don't like heavy quilting either.
Hope you have fun finishing your quilt.

sandy l 10-24-2012 04:43 AM

I like the larger motif, and that is a neat quilt.

Toni C 10-24-2012 04:57 AM

Larger one looks good to me. As long as your batting is fine with it so am I. I also like a soft drape and don't like heavy quilting. YOU GO GIRL

tezell0801 10-24-2012 05:07 AM

I think I like the larger one best too. Very pretty quilt.