Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need opinion on sash color choice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-opinion-sash-color-choice-t298739.html)

Homespun 08-06-2018 08:04 AM

sorry about your dad. Mine has been gone now over 30 years and I still miss him. I prefer the white.

SuziSew 08-06-2018 08:44 AM

I guess I'm the odd one in the group as I preferred the yellow...but the white will be great too. I am sorry for your loss...my dad passed last year as well and have a bag of shirts that I kept to make something with. I like the block pattern you used, is there a name or pattern? I'm keeping a list of ones I like, until I can decide what I like best.

Greenheron 08-06-2018 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by SuziSew (Post 8106890)
I guess I'm the odd one in the group as I preferred the yellow...but the white will be great too. I am sorry for your loss...my dad passed last year as well and have a bag of shirts that I kept to make something with. I like the block pattern you used, is there a name or pattern? I'm keeping a list of ones I like, until I can decide what I like best.

(I wish I had made a memory quilt but my mother couldn't bear the thought.) I think the yellow sashing brings life to the blocks, perhaps because it adds the third primary color to the mix. I'm 71 and still wish I could sit on Daddy's lap again.

ND-Mom 08-06-2018 09:18 AM

Hi, Sue:

I don't know the pattern for this block. I Googled "quilt pattern for men" and went through them. I chose a few that I like and can do (I am not a good quilter). I made a few trial blocks and settled for this. I personally like the orange/yellow sash color. I guess I prefer warm colors in general. If you looked closely, you'd find I add a few fabrics that have dark brown, dark red to the blocks. I figured that I will be the one look at the quilt most time, I want to please my eyes.

Sorry for your loss...

I hope making this quilt could bring some closure.

SusieQOH 08-06-2018 09:27 AM

It's hard to choose- they both look great!
Actually I just studied it again and I think the white makes it look more "manly", if that matters.
What a nice tribute for your Dad :)

cathyvv 08-06-2018 10:09 AM

Me, too. It made the blocks stand out more.

ND-Mom 08-06-2018 10:23 AM

Cathy: do you like orange/yellow better?

zozee 08-06-2018 10:44 AM

N-D Mom, if you prefer the yellow, then by all means use it. But if you prefer warm colors in general, have you tried one of those warm brick reds? Personally I'd audition lots of colors . Sometimes one just makes the colors sing in a most surprising way. Navy, grey, salmon, slate blue, brown, tan.

ND-Mom 08-06-2018 11:06 AM

Hi, Zozee:

Thanks for the encouragement. I was planning to do a boarder with warm color fabric. Maybe I'll try a color that you listed here for sashing and see how that turn out.

cashs_mom 08-06-2018 01:52 PM

I like the white sashing much better than the yellow. I like to use 2 borders and would probably use a narrow red and then and wider navy.