Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need opinions from experienced quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-opinions-experienced-quilters-t147993.html)

joyce888 08-26-2011 05:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm in the process of adding the last border to a queen size raffle quilt and I'm faced with the dilemma of "do I cut the borders length-wise or cross-wise?". I've got enough fabric for length-wise but that means so much waste to get opposite sides matching and even more waste to have all the sides identical (plus if all sides are identical a lot of the motif will not be represented). I think I could cut the strips cross-wise and match them without too much waste but I'm worried about having seams in the outside border. ANAL quilters (like myself) please reply. I want to get this done today. Thanks, Joyce

suezquilts 08-26-2011 06:09 AM

I usually cut 3 yards of the fabric lengthwise, this way I can use the entire length and no seams.
you can get up to 4 10" pieces.
Just take your time, iron, and lay the fabric out and fold it, you need to cut the selvage, then the strips 8" X 108"
or whatever your width.
I do this all the time and even cutting my binding out at the same time... if I can.
Enjoy

Grama Lehr 08-26-2011 06:16 AM

I can't answer your question. . . but your fabric is beautiful!!

Pam S 08-26-2011 06:20 AM

Personally, I like to cut my borders lengthwise whenever possible. But if you can match the print's patterns to piece the borders cut crosswise so that the seams don't show, there's nothing wrong with that. By the way, lovely fabric.

Rose Marie 08-26-2011 06:25 AM

Love your fabric.
Not sure if you need to match your fabric pattern when you connect another strip. Id lay out a couple of sections that dont match and see how it looks before cutting.
If it looks like it has to match would use it lenthwise.

bearisgray 08-26-2011 06:28 AM

I also like to have the borders matching. Especially when it's very conspicuous when they don't.

And I also prefer to use the lengthwise grain for borders.

I can so relate to your dilemma.

susie-susie-susie 08-26-2011 06:37 AM

Your fabric is beautiful. I like to cut lengthwise if possible, but I don't think your seams will show with that fabric. If you have enough fabric, go lengthwise, but don't go out and buy more. JMHO
Sue

Holice 08-26-2011 06:42 AM

if you cut the width of fabric be sure and join them on the diagnal. It will show less that way unless you can do a perfect match. Lay out the fabric both ways and see what you get.

irishrose 08-26-2011 06:52 AM

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the pattern matching with an allover floral. I prefer lengthwise borders for the lack of stretch, but use crosswise, too. Holice beat me to saying to use diagonal seams if you cut crosswise. The seam is doesn't interfere with binding nearly as much when the seams aren't stacked, plus it will look better. Very pretty fabric.

dunster 08-26-2011 07:00 AM

I probably shouldn't be replying, because I am definitely not an anal quilter. I prefer cutting lengthwise because the fabric behaves better and I can avoid additional seams. However, after quilting you are unlikely to see the seams with your BEAUTIFUL fabric. I never try to match the pattern on both sides, or match the fabric on the seam. Once it's on a bed, who would even notice? If this is a raffle quilt, people will buy tickets because it's a beautiful quilt, and because they want to support whatever cause is selling the tickets. I think you're stressing out over this, and you need to relax and enjoy making the quilt.