Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Plan of Attack - Buckeye Beauty (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-plan-attack-buckeye-beauty-t69583.html)

Twisted Quilter 10-11-2010 11:14 AM

I'm working on a Buckeye Beauty quilt, and it requires over 1000 squares. My question is, what would be the best way to get this done.

Questions:

Do I just cut squares until I'm tired and then divide into light/medium/dark, or cut in groups, e.g. light, then medium, then dark.

Since I need over 1000 squares, how many of each should I cut from each fabric, or does it matter?

Right now I'm just cutting whatever fabric is in the bin. If it's a scrap and I can only get one square, that's it. Bigger pieces I'll cut 4-5 squares.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sahm4605 10-11-2010 11:19 AM

I would just cut 250 in the light, medium and darks to start with. then lay them all out and see which you should cut more of. this way it gives you a starting point. post a pic when you got the cutting done and layed them out and we could always help you decide which you need more of.

amma 10-11-2010 11:19 AM

If I was cutting that many, I would probably be bouncing all over the place LOL
My thought is this, will you KNOW what a light/medium really looks like, before you get them all cut? To my eye, these can change until I get the rest cut and layed out. Or they can change depending on what other fabrics I put with them in the block.
So I guess I would cut a bunch, knowing I made need to cut a few more of one or the other once I get to piecing the blocks :D:D:D

Twisted Quilter 10-11-2010 12:34 PM

You are soooo right! I was having trouble determining if some were medium or dark, or light or medium. I was really feeling pretty dumb. :roll:

Great idea to lay the blocks out, and then test the questionable blocks to see where they would go best.

KR 10-11-2010 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
I'm working on a Buckeye Beauty quilt, and it requires over 1000 squares. My question is, what would be the best way to get this done.

Everyone's suggestions about laying out your fabrics are great! If I were considering this project, I would find it a good reason to invest in a June Tailor Shape Cut ruler, especially if they are all small squares.

np3 10-11-2010 12:44 PM

Good for you to attempt this. I would go crazy!

desertrose 10-11-2010 01:24 PM

I think I'd do as Sahm4605 suggested cutting out 250 Sqs. and doing a layout from the assorted shades and see how it looks before deciding which shades and colors you need more of. Don't panic, cut one sq. at a time and ask us for help if something doesn't look right.

Happy to help...Andie :-D

Twisted Quilter 10-11-2010 02:17 PM

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks!

sueisallaboutquilts 10-11-2010 04:52 PM

You couldn't pay me to do what you're doing!! If I can't strip cut I won't do it!!
Good luck to you :D

Twisted Quilter 10-11-2010 08:13 PM

100 down, 900+ to go! :thumbup: