Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need to Purchase an Ironing Board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-purchase-ironing-board-t221040.html)

jrharry 05-08-2013 12:58 PM

Need to Purchase an Ironing Board

Can any of you wonderful quilters give me some insight as to what type of ironing board to purchase.

mike'sgirl 05-08-2013 02:09 PM

If I could go back and buy one , I would get the big board that WalMart sells. It would really come in handy for ironing yardage. I now have a vintage ironing board that I use, and I love it, so I won't go and buy another one.

katier825 05-08-2013 02:44 PM

I need another one too, but keep stalling because of the price. When I do, I will not get another T-leg one...it wobbles. I'd go for the 4 leg one.

kidhauler1948 05-08-2013 02:54 PM

Have to agree with the 4 legged one, I am still using a regular ironing board as I still iron our clothes but a big board would be nice if you have the room and $$$

AliKat 05-08-2013 03:38 PM

Got my best one - 4 legged - at an estate sale for almost nothing. When I''m ready will make a big board type of overlay for yardage. Just don't feel the need for that yet ... plus having to deal with the storage of it.

Nammie to 7 05-08-2013 03:43 PM

I'm using an OLD ironing board with a big board on top of it. The big board was made and gifted to me by a wonderful friend. I really like my big board.

patchsamkim 05-08-2013 03:47 PM

I also use an ironing board with a big board on top. Just look for an ironing board that is sturdy. Check at places like Goodwill for a used one. It seems like the older ones were made better than the newer ones.

needles3thread 05-08-2013 04:15 PM

I agree - look at goodwill, garage sales etc. I see many there. Younger generation does not iron like we older
ones did, and they are disposing of them.

JulieR 05-08-2013 04:27 PM

I can't seem to find the one I have online anymore, but I invested in a heavy-duty, super stable and quite wide "traditional" ironing board. It works very well in my space; I use a large table as my sewing and cutting surface so when I'm not pressing large pieces, I lower the ironing board to slide the narrower end under the tabletop. This leaves me with the wide end sticking out next to me on my left side so I can press smaller pieces without getting up from the machine. I also use it as an extension table to support the weight of a quilt if I'm machine quilting.

Think about how you use it -- do you need to iron a lot of yardage? Would you use it to press clothing? How much space do you have in your sewing room?

LivelyLady 05-08-2013 04:32 PM

I found an old library table (48" wide x 24" deep) at a tag sale for $10 and my DH cut a thick piece of plywood which I covered with cotton batting and a heavy Home Decor Fabric I got with a coupon at JoAnn's. It's the best cheap ironing board and I love it!