Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need quilting advice.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-quilting-advice-t188685.html)

cowpie2 05-11-2012 06:01 AM

Need quilting advice..

1 Attachment(s)
This is a small scale GFG I am making for my granddaughter. These are 1" Hexi's, just a little bigger than a quarter. The whole thing is crib size, about 38 x 52. I thought I would just put flannel on the back and maybe a layer of flannel in the middle. I'm conflicted on how to finish it off. I generally hand quilt, but the pieces are so small that I think that would be overkill on this one. I find machine quilting very tedious, but can do SID or straight line, though I fear both would detract from the look of the top. I want to keep it soft and snuggle.

Any suggestions?

sharon b 05-11-2012 06:09 AM

Gorgeous ! What about just Stitch in the Ditch around the outside of the flowers that would also help "pop" the flowers just a bit without being overwhelming

Pat625 05-11-2012 06:11 AM

That sounds great!! THe SITD would make the flowers stand out..Great work!!

Originally Posted by sharon b (Post 5209333)
Gorgeous ! What about just Stitch in the Ditch around the outside of the flowers that would also help "pop" the flowers just a bit without being overwhelming

bearisgray 05-11-2012 06:11 AM

How about tying it? If you put the ties in the middle of each 'flower' - it could be a design feature. It is very pretty and soft looking.

PolkaBabe 05-11-2012 06:30 AM

I Like GFG, but this smaller hex is much prettier. Thank you for posting this.

Scissor Queen 05-11-2012 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by cowpie2 (Post 5209311)
This is a small scale GFG I am making for my granddaughter. These are 1" Hexi's, just a little bigger than a quarter. The whole thing is crib size, about 38 x 52. I thought I would just put flannel on the back and maybe a layer of flannel in the middle. I'm conflicted on how to finish it off. I generally hand quilt, but the pieces are so small that I think that would be overkill on this one. I find machine quilting very tedious, but can do SID or straight line, though I fear both would detract from the look of the top. I want to keep it soft and snuggle.

Any suggestions?

Really cute buttons sewn in the center of the flowers might be a good option. Then maybe just a wavy line thru the path parts.

Tartan 05-11-2012 07:36 AM

Since your gorgeous quilt is heirloom quality, I would hand quilt 1/4 inch inside each hexagon. I know, not what you wanted to hear right? With 2 layers of flannel I don't think it would be too difficult to hand quilt? I've never hand quilted flannel so I'm not sure if it like resist needling on not.

cowpie2 05-11-2012 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5209543)
Since your gorgeous quilt is heirloom quality, I would hand quilt 1/4 inch inside each hexagon. I know, not what you wanted to hear right? With 2 layers of flannel I don't think it would be too difficult to hand quilt? I've never hand quilted flannel so I'm not sure if it like resist needling on not.

Your probably right. Since the hexigons are so small and I am only using flannel I could probably get away with only hand quilting some of the hexis. Either quilt the path and the centers or just quilt the flowers.

KarenK 05-11-2012 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First of all - you do beautiful work!

I would hand quilt it and keep it simple. Such as 1/4" inside the edge of each flower or pick a shape to quilt over the whole flower. The shape could be rotated so there is no definite top or bottom to the quilt. This one popped into my brain tonight.:)

Jackie Spencer 05-11-2012 04:05 PM

Your little quilt is so precious. I just love it. Lucky little baby that gets it.