Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Quilting help for Log Cabin top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-quilting-help-log-cabin-top-t207225.html)

Snooze2978 11-29-2012 06:22 AM

Need Quilting help for Log Cabin top

1 Attachment(s)
Hello! I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what pattern(s) to use for this log cabin quilt top for my mother. Its 96 x 96 so not a small quilt by any means.....at least for me its the largest one I've made. My mother doesn't care what I put on it so she's no help to me. I've tried to find other log cabin quilts for ideas but still nothing is catching my eye. I have a robotic system which I use most all the time.........in fact all the time as I had an 18 inches machine and just got a new 26" Innova this past Tuesday. I still have lots of practice to do but that's all the fun of a new toy. I'll be getting the robotics installed on her in December so I won't be starting the log cabin till the new year. Any suggestions would be helpful. Here's a photo of it. Sorry if the photo is so large. Haven't posted much here to know how to do it correctly. It was so large I had to lay it on the driveway to photograph it back when I lived in Florida. I'm now in Iowa.

Thanks,

Suz in Iowa

crazythread 11-29-2012 06:54 AM

Hi, I've made several log cabin quilts and this is how I quilt them. I quilt around the center square (some times called the chimney) then around each row of logs. What I end up with is a square within a square with in a square etc....I hope you can understand this. The finished effect is quite beautiful.......

gramajo 11-29-2012 07:06 AM

I can't help with quilting ideas, but wanted to tell you your quilt is beautiful.

sandy l 11-29-2012 07:09 AM

Love Log Cabins and you have a winner there.

kristakz 11-29-2012 07:16 AM

I've seen a number of log cabin quilting patterns that quilt each block, in 2 patterns (one for the light, and one for the dark section). For example, a stitch-in -the-ditch for one side, and a feather in the other. I think something like this would be beautiful to accentuate your pattern.

dunster 11-29-2012 07:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Feathers would look great in the white space. Here's a close-up picture I took at Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show in 2008 of Judy Martin's Snake River Log Cabin. I've put feathers in my log cabins, never quite this successfully.

AngelinaMaria 11-29-2012 08:10 AM

Charisma has a number of log cabins on here and her website and she does lots of feathers like the image above. It almost looks like a river flowing throught he light space.

janceejan 11-29-2012 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My log cabin is similiar to yours, and Charisma did mine. Love how it turned out.

quiltin chris 11-29-2012 01:35 PM

These Log Cabin Quilts are all just wonderful. Anybody that thinks Log Cabin Quilts are plain janes should look at these posted!!!

Chris

Jan in VA 11-29-2012 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The quilts posted are just marvelous!
But if you'd like to use a more traditional design, the Baptist Fan was commonly used on these quilts over 125 years ago.

Jan in VA

Shoot, wish the photo was larger.