Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Quilting Ideas for HST and QST UFOs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-quilting-ideas-hst-qst-ufos-t292433.html)

icul8rg8r 11-08-2017 12:55 AM

Need Quilting Ideas for HST and QST UFOs

I'm trying to finish some UFOs and I have several Half Square Triangle and one Quarter Square Triangle pieced quilt tops. Trying to figure out how I should quilt these using my domestic machine (Pfaff Performance 5.0). Probably straight line quilting of some sort since I'm not at all confident with my actual quilting abilities (thus the reason I have so many UFO's)!

Sure would appreciate any ideas! TIA.

tscweaves 11-08-2017 05:15 AM

I have been watching a Craftsy class "Creative Quilting with your Walking Foot" and there are some great ideas there. You could do straight line diamonds at a different angle than the HST's. Setting the guide on your walking foot and following each row of stitching works nice. Painters tape helps with straight lines too.

equigle5 11-08-2017 06:22 AM

Definitely use a walking foot. The painters tape idea is great.

nativetexan 11-08-2017 07:48 AM

search for continuous line quilting. you can do curves slowly with a walking foot.

psquared52 11-09-2017 04:37 AM

I think straight line quilting is pretty hard to do so I generally doing a serpentine stitch. It is very forgiving and covers a lot of the wiggles and squiggles. Plus it's a nice design element.

maudeflanagan 11-09-2017 05:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Angela Walters does what she calls "Dot to Dot Quilting". I am using it on a quilt right now. It's easy-ish on my domestic. It's great for HSTs. Kinda hard to see in this picture, but you can Google for more information.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583571[/ATTACH]

Tartan 11-09-2017 06:13 AM

I bought the Bernina ruler foot for dot to dot quilting straight lines without having to turn my quilt while FMQ. You can do some lovely designs using your walking foot but it is harder to do a big quilt if you have to change quilting direction.

judykay 11-09-2017 07:17 AM

I have just marked a table runner for machine quilting which I am not good at so I use decorative stitches in place of straight stitches. I did this for a baby quilt earlier this year and am very happy with the results. Both of these projects had hst and odd shapes of strips. I was very pleased with the baby quilt, and found it to be much easier than straight stitching, if you go off the line it looks like it was suppose to be with the decorative stitches plus it was fun to do.

mindless 11-09-2017 04:26 PM

When I'm working with something that has that many straight lines, I like to add curves. Like concentric circles. I usually trace around a quarter for the first ring, then use my presser foot as a guide to quilt consecutive rings around the first one. Looks kinda like water drops on a pond. I like to do just one 'water drop' on small quilts, and up to 3 or so on larger ones. It can be a little bit awkward if the quilt is a large one though-turning it a lot.

Just quilting diagonal, sort of wavy lines from corner to corner (or edge to edge) looks nice too. You get a sort of curvy diamond look if you quilt both directions.

sewbizgirl 11-09-2017 04:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some blocks I quilted as QAYG blocks... but you can do the same on a whole top. I used a walking foot and let a little presser foot pressure off (my machine has that adjustment but it's not critical to the process.) Then instead of echoing the lines of the pieces, I swooped in and out in gentle curves. You can be real creative with this and it always looks good, IMO. Hope you can see the stitching.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583599[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583600[/ATTACH]