Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need a recommendation for a tiny portable travel sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-recommendation-tiny-portable-travel-sewing-machine-t119670.html)

girlsfour 04-30-2011 03:40 AM

Hope everything goes okay for you and your mom.

Janome Sew Mini. They are about $49 at Hancock Fabrics. They are a little bit bigger than a kids sewing machine but run like a regular sewing machine. I work at Hancock and gals there buy them for traveling and for keeping them in their campers, etc. Haven't had one returned so I think they really like them.

lovelyl 04-30-2011 03:56 AM

If you are not wanting to invest a lot of $$, I have a Brother CS6000i that I purchased just to take to classes. It is lightweight, inexpensive (I have seen them on Ebay for as low as $169.00 - I purchased mine from QVC). It comes with several feet, mine even came with a walking foot! It is a great little machine.

19angel52 04-30-2011 04:07 AM

...just make sure whatever you take can work with an adapter.....aren't the outlets overseas different than ours????
You can shop online for an inexpensive lightweight machine....I have a brothers that fits the bill perfectly - fits in the overhead compartment even after the airlines scaled down their oveheads!

quilt3311 04-30-2011 04:17 AM

A couple of my friends have the Janome Gem machines and love them for classes etc. I would find out about electricity as some places you have to have an adapter (or something-don't know what to call it)

Just Me... 04-30-2011 04:24 AM

Def a FW if you can swing it. Second choice would be the Janome 3160.

emsunfire 04-30-2011 04:35 AM

I have a Janome Jem Gold and actually brought it as a carry on. Fits in the over head. I found a small rolling tote that fit it perfectly and was even able to put my extension table in there too. I figured even 12 lb.s gets heavy after carring it around the airport for awhile.
Hope your Mom is better soon

matraina 04-30-2011 04:58 AM

I have a Brother SQ9000, which I got for that reason. It weighs 10# and you can get it at Wal*Mart for $199. I know that you have to get an adapter to use in France.

marymm 04-30-2011 05:00 AM

Love, love my Janome Jem Platinum 760. I have the original Jem and use it occasionally (am saving it for granddaughter), but the 760 has a lot of stitches and other capabilities.

Just Me... 04-30-2011 05:02 AM

The 3160 is the same as a 760 only with a bigger body. Same lightweight. Comes with ext table and hardcover case. Gotta love Janome for those lightweight, easy to carry machines! :)

Originally Posted by marymm
Love, love my Janome Jem Platinum 760. I have the original Jem and use it occasionally (am saving it for granddaughter), but the 760 has a lot of stitches and other capabilities.

fussycutter 04-30-2011 05:04 AM

I have the Janome Platinum 760 that I use as my traveling machine. It's lightweight & perfect for traveling & has alot of nice features. Best of luck on your trip & speedy recovery for your mom.