Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Some Advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-advice-t110479.html)

FERSID 03-25-2011 01:53 AM

I am contemplating buying an Embroidery Machine so I can do some fancy stitching on my quilts.

Question is, what is the best machine to consider and why.

I don't know much about them so I need to get a good idea as to the size ( I would like it to be big enough to handle large projects - I'm thinking this would relate to the sewing bed or hoop? area?) I should consider as well as the stitching functions it should have for the particular machine.

I don't think it would be necessary that it can do a "trillion" different stitches but I would like it to be fairly versatile.

I know store salespeople are available to answer questions like these however, I feel they are slightly biased when it comes to the particular brands they carry in their stores so, I thought it would serve me better to ask all of you on the QB who own an Embroidery machine to give your opinions on the machines you have - BOTH PROS & CONS PLEASE.

Many thanks

sewcrafty 03-25-2011 03:15 AM

I don't have one yet, but I'm looking at the Janome 350e. Nice little machine.

jdiane318 03-25-2011 03:32 AM

I have the Janome 350E and love it. There are all kinds of software available for your machine. I love that this machine has a USB port. You can download to your thumb drive or to your computer or like me, I bought an external hard drive to use to read the disk. I have had no issues. It comes equipped with a low bobbin warning and thread cutter. Any machine that has an automatic thread cutter, you must allow the machine to complete the job of thread cutting before grabbing your article or you can knock the machine out of adjustment. But it does do the 4x4 and 5x7 sizes.

hobbykat1955 03-25-2011 03:53 AM

I have a Husqvarna Viking SE combo sewing/emb...They now upgraded to the Ruby. Several diff hoop sizes up to Mega...Built in stitches in the sewing machine part so many probably will never use most of them from deocrative, heirloom, quilting on and on...I love it because in the quilting stitches I can hit a button and it's like free motion. Also the advantage to a Viking is the built in sensor foot that lifts the foot via the petal not with a manual handle...great for applique and turning on a dime.

Chickerson 03-25-2011 04:23 AM

I have a Brother and love it!

dakotamaid 03-25-2011 04:24 AM

I'll be watching this as I'm interested in one but only have about 800 to spend. Is this doable for an embroidery machine?

mpspeedy 03-25-2011 04:31 AM

It sounds as if you are a little confused about what an embroidery machine does. Most computerized sewing machines do some fancy stitches but you have to hand guide them into particular designs. An embroidery machine uses set patterns that create a picture or design using either one color thread or multiple to create a picture. The finished product looks like "hand embroidery". Those machines are now able to do designs or "pictures" up to 5x7 inches in size or larger if you have the right hoop and patience to make a larger design. I own two such machines and both are stand alone. They only do embroidery.
Most machine brands now sell combination machines that require you to change your sewing machine to embroidery by adding or subtracting sections of the machine. Under those circumstances you can sew or embroider but not do both at the same time.
I prefer the seperate machines because they allow me to sew on my sewing machine while the embroidery machine is sewing out a design. The embroidery machine does not require you to hold down a pedal in order to run the machine. It simply has a start and stop button. It also stops automatically when it needs to have the color of thread changed.
If you simply want to use "decorative stitches" on your quilts there are plenty of computerized sewing machines in various prices ranges that will do that well. If you really want an embroidery machine I recommend the one I most recently purchased a Brother PE780D. It came with preloaded Disney motifs as well as several sets of alphabets, frames to use for special stuff and more than 100 other things you can sew out on it. From animals and birds to stuff that looks like counted cross stitch. It cost between $700 and $900 and uses either a USB stick or the little cards. It uses the PES format. My other embroidery machine is almost 20 years old and uses the same PES format so I can use the software from it on my newer machine. I sometimes have both embroidery machines going while I am sewing on my sewing machine.

FERSID 03-25-2011 06:56 PM

Wow - great info thank you so much. I'm wondering if it would be possible for you to PM me some photos of the embroidery work your machines can do.

It sounds most logical to get a machine that does the embroidery as a stand alone - would save time and aggravation (I would think) having to remove parts.

Thanks again for help you have given and any additional you can spare.

mpspeedy 03-26-2011 07:41 AM

Fersid, I am trying to send this as a PM but that doesn't seem to work. These are three different projects done on my embroidery machines. The two quilts have embroidered motifs as the center of blocks. On the banner I used both machines. The old one for the letters of my family name down the middle and the newer machine for the celtic motifs. The three single blocks were done on the new machine. Aren't Mickey and Minnie cute? The new machine sews out about twice as fast as the old one. There is at least one picture that shows the decorative stitches on the oriental crazy quilt. Those were done on my Bernina computerized machine. Those are hand guided. That can not be done on the embroidery machines.

FERSID 03-26-2011 11:37 AM

Sorry, but can not see any of the embroidery work you have described and I do not have any notice of a PM from you.
Do you have a link that I can go to that will let me view the work you have mentioned?