Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need some advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-advice-t154978.html)

carol45 09-22-2011 11:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm making this baby quilt and I feel like I've painted myself into a corner--not sure I like it at all any more.
I've sandwiched this with fleece backing (no batting), and I've stitched in the ditch (around the geometric shapes) sufficiently, I think. My problem is I don't know what to do with the geometric shapes. Also, I used heat n' bond to put them down and then blanket stiched around them, but they don't seem like they are sufficienly tacked down--they seem to be fraying a bit, so I'm thinking I will have to do a satin stitch around each one of them now. Grrr.
I'd appreciate any suggestions for saving this thing. I'm not good enough for FMQ yet.

close-up of quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]260786[/ATTACH]

Pat P 09-22-2011 11:30 AM

You might try Fray check and then do a satin stitch around them. Is the fleece attached to the front. If it isn't you may want to put a stabilizer behind geo shapes. If attached the fleece may act as a stabilizer. Can you do a practice piece with scraps first?

sweetpea 09-22-2011 11:35 AM

it cute not gave up it. I have no words to help. sorry

Dena789 09-22-2011 11:42 AM

It is a very cute quilt! Don't give up on it. I would just sew a quarter inch inside the edge of each shape and then maybe another line or two inside those. That will hold it down even if the edges fray. Some applique quilts are made leaving the edges to fray on purpose...

PaperPrincess 09-22-2011 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dena789
It is a very cute quilt! Don't give up on it. I would just sew a quarter inch inside the edge of each shape and then maybe another line or two inside those. That will hold it down even if the edges fray. Some applique quilts are made leaving the edges to fray on purpose...

I agree, just do a stitch 1/4" in and let it fray if it wants to. It's just a new design element! You can do a swirl or cross hatch inside them if you'd like.

Chicca 09-22-2011 12:03 PM

I think the quilt is wonderful! All of the suggestions mentioned are great ideas; one thing that came to my mind is to use various specialty stitches and go around or just inside each shape.

fabric_fancy 09-22-2011 12:09 PM

i think its wonderful.

its great for learning shapes and colors.

heat and bond along with the blanket stitch is more then enough to hold the shapes down - do not fear.

me personally, i would bind it and call it done.

if i were the mommy getting this quilt i would be thrilled with it and just love the fact that it is a learning tool also.

Sandee 09-22-2011 12:42 PM

I think that's a great quilt for a little one! He/She can learn the shapes & it's very unique & original! I agree with fabric-fancy. Your shapes will be OK!

blueangel 09-22-2011 01:26 PM

I think it's very cute.

quiltmouse 09-22-2011 01:29 PM

not fray check... it is liquid plastic & will be rough to the touch when dry