Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-advice-t177259.html)

Mimmis57 01-28-2012 07:24 AM

Need some advice

My friends' husband would like me to make them a quilt with the names of their family members on it. He wasn't specific about what he had in mind. I don't do embroidery but I suppose I could applique if it was a simple design. I know this is vague but that's all I know. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you all.

Tartan 01-28-2012 07:33 AM

Make sure you figure out what the cost of materials would be before commiting to anything. Is he going to pay for the materials up front? Most people have no idea what a quilt actually costs to make. If you don't want to embroider the names, you could write them on a light fabric with Pigma fabric pens. What size quilt does he want and how many names? There is a book out that shows you how to do simple block letters out of fabric. It is by a friend of Bonnie Hunter (Tonya?) over at www.quiltville She was also featured in The Quilt Show magazine a couple of issues ago. Her method might be something to try if there were not too many names to do. Good luck.

Caroline S 01-28-2012 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 4918715)
Make sure you figure out what the cost of materials would be before commiting to anything. Is he going to pay for the materials up front? Most people have no idea what a quilt actually costs to make. If you don't want to embroider the names, you could write them on a light fabric with Pigma fabric pens. What size quilt does he want and how many names? There is a book out that shows you how to do simple block letters out of fabric. It is by a friend of Bonnie Hunter (Tonya?) over at www.quiltville She was also featured in The Quilt Show magazine a couple of issues ago. Her method might be something to try if there were not too many names to do. Good luck.

I would suggest that you come up with some ideas and then sit down with your friend's husband to discuss them. Get him involved in the design and fabric, batting, backing and thread purchase process so he will be happy with the result. Ask about colors, style, size etc. Let him know that good fabric is expensive and it does take a lot of time and money to produce a quilt. I agree with you Tartan, most people do not know about the costs of making a quilt and the amount of time involved.

Jan in VA 01-29-2012 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 4918822)
I would suggest that you come up with some ideas and then sit down with your friend's husband to discuss them. Get him involved in the design and fabric, batting, backing and thread purchase process so he will be happy with the result. Ask about colors, style, size etc. Let him know that good fabric is expensive and it does take a lot of time and money to produce a quilt. I agree with you Tartan, most people do not know about the costs of making a quilt and the amount of time involved.

And don't be at all surprised if he changes his mind about having a quilt made when he sees all that's involved and what it will cost!

Jan in VA

Pinkiris 01-29-2012 09:26 PM

You could do the names he wants included in a nice font and print it out on fabric (like Printed Treasures) and then include it in the quilt. Other than that, I agree with coming up with a couple of rough drawings and making sure that he understands about the expense.

BETTY62 01-29-2012 10:56 PM

There has been a really good post written in the last few day that you should read before you start planning the quilt. Although it may be far more indepth than what you have in mind, I believe it will provide you with some really good information for putting together a family quilt. You can find it by doing a search on " FAMILY HISTORY QUILT INFORMATION ". And, I agree with the others in that you should quote the price before you get too far in the process. Since this is for a friend and her husband, I would even go so far as to take her to the fabric shop to look at fabric and see how it's what priced so she can see and understand where the actual cost of the quilt is coming from. I would then give her the price you will charge for actually making the quilt. I am suggesting this because people who do not sew or quilt usually do not realize the cost of fabric per yard or how many yards are required to make a quilt. In turn, they often feel you are trying to take advantage of them or that the price they are quoted is far too much.