Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need some advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-advice-t186145.html)

solstice3 04-17-2012 07:07 AM

beautiful quilt. several good ideas presented for quilting.

grandme26 04-17-2012 07:21 AM

Beautiful quilt.:thumbup:

Lady Diana 04-17-2012 07:22 AM

Beautiful! Love the blue..Since they live in San Antonio, I would use awarm and natural cotton batting, not fleece. I live in Texas and it is summer nine months of the year. They would really like a light weight quilt.....just right under the air conditioning. They will love your work.
All over meadering pattern would be great since it is such a large quilt...l.quilt center motif following motif lines, then do stipple around that....
Diana in TX

anniesews 04-17-2012 07:48 AM

Very pretty. Please let us see what you choose to quilt with.

JoanneS 04-17-2012 02:24 PM

Beautiful quilt! I think fleece is warmer than a cotton batting. Plus it can stretch, especially on a large quilt that isn't quilted with straight lines. Another alternative would be to use flannel instead of batting or fleece - BUT be sure to shrink it by prewashing 3 or 4 times.

Trish88 04-17-2012 03:35 PM

Carol....please let me know what you do.....Iam in the process of making a t/shirt quilt for my D/L and she wants the back to be fleece....so I wont be putting any batting in the middle because the fleece will make it heavy enough....Ive not ever tried quilting on fleece.....so when you do decide to quilt a design I so would appreciate it if you let me know how this works....thx ever so much........Trish

Greenheron 04-18-2012 06:52 AM

Carol, I've wanted a peacock bedspread since I saw a chenille one hanging on line at a roadside stand. There are so many wonderful quilting ideas tendered here I don't think I could add any better but when I first looked at your beautiful top I thought "India" and embellishment with metallic or silk-like threads and spangles. It's beautiful.

carol45 04-18-2012 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Trish88 (Post 5149392)
Carol....please let me know what you do.....Iam in the process of making a t/shirt quilt for my D/L and she wants the back to be fleece....so I wont be putting any batting in the middle because the fleece will make it heavy enough....Ive not ever tried quilting on fleece.....so when you do decide to quilt a design I so would appreciate it if you let me know how this works....thx ever so much........Trish

In my limited quilting career I have quilted several quilts with fleece and never had a problem. This one I'm planning to spray baste. I just spray basted a baby quilt with just a fleece backing and it worked really well. I think if it's well basted, and your sewing surface is smooth enough, it should be OK.

nstitches4u 04-18-2012 02:02 PM

I can't presume to advise you on quilting, but I just want to tell you that your quilt is beautiful!

carolynjo 04-18-2012 06:48 PM

I agree with the advice above; just echo quilt the peacock and then do cross hatching.