Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some binding tidbits!! You got'm?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-binding-tidbits-you-gotm-t18947.html)

BlueChicken 04-14-2009 12:17 PM

I machine the front, trim, then hand sew the back too.

But quilts where I've put fur on the back, I machine it to the back then hand stitch it to the front. Too hard to hand stitch to the fur! lol My hand stitching is pretty neat so it doesn't matter whether it's the front or back.

sewjoyce 04-14-2009 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I square up the quilt and cut the batting and binding even with the top. Then sew on binding with a slightly larger than 1/4" seam, (I use 2 1/2" strips for binding) then turn to the back and hand sew down.

This is exactly what I do :-)

Skeat 04-14-2009 03:35 PM

This is good! I find it very helpful and also very interesting that we all do a bit different. You are great for answering!! Let's wait and see if he hear more opinions on their 'how I do it...binding!':)Skeat

sandpat 04-14-2009 03:41 PM

I think I do it the same way as some of the rest of you...square up quilt..add binding with slightly larger than 1/4" to the front., flip over to the back and hand sew.

Cathe 04-14-2009 04:10 PM

It really depends on how wide you cut your binding. I cut my bindings 2" wide, so they don't need extra batting to "fill" them. If you cut them wider than 2", you need to compensate for the extra binding fabric, so it's a good idea to leave some extra batting extended beyond the seam.

k3n 04-15-2009 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cathe
It really depends on how wide you cut your binding. I cut my bindings 2" wide, so they don't need extra batting to "fill" them. If you cut them wider than 2", you need to compensate for the extra binding fabric, so it's a good idea to leave some extra batting extended beyond the seam.

Cathe, is that 2" then folded double? I do 2 and a half inches, folded double then raw edges machined to right side. Then you get a fold to hand stitch to the back, no fiddly turning under. Is that what you do with 2" or is that a single bind?

K x

Skeat 04-15-2009 05:24 AM

Here's what I just did...tadooom!:0)I had to bind a quilt for a friend that dropped off her binding and quilt...(just doing a favor!)I left 1/4" of batting and backing past the edge of the top layer. Sewed the binding on the top edge all the way around. The binding was on fold...and, her binding could have been a bit longer for me..didn't measure it but, it was about 2 1/4" wide. I folded the binding down the backside, pinned, mitered the corners and used my 1/4" presser foot...sewed that puppy down..and, it looks great!! Then I had to run one of my kids to the LQS for a project/fabric and while there...I asked several of the older women about the binding. They said they always leave their batting and backing out about 1/4" to give some more protection to the quilt and they said they always sew down the binding (like I just did) if it is a quilt that will be on the move:)
I did go home and pull out some of my oldies...(quilts) and looked very closely at the edges...there is some wear on the binding..only. I'd say, no matter what...we will still outlive any of that type of use on them:)LOL Skeat

Cathe 04-15-2009 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by k3n

Cathe, is that 2" then folded double? I do 2 and a half inches, folded double then raw edges machined to right side. Then you get a fold to hand stitch to the back, no fiddly turning under. Is that what you do with 2" or is that a single bind?

K x

Yes. Cut 2" and then fold. Machine sew on top and then turn the folded edge to the back and hand stitch there. No fiddly edges.

I have used a 2 1/4" for flannel quilts, since they are thicker.

Rose Marie 04-15-2009 06:38 AM

I dont hand sew the back binding and I dont use pins.
I use 2 1/2 inch binding and sew to the front of the quilt. Iron the seam open then fold to the back and glue with elmers glue and iron in place.
Use a stitch in the ditch foot to sew from the front in the ditch.
Be sure to square up your quilt first to get an even stitch on the back binding.

k3n 04-15-2009 07:29 AM

Yes. Cut 2" and then fold. Machine sew on top and then turn the folded edge to the back and hand stitch there. No fiddly edges.

I have used a 2 1/4" for flannel quilts, since they are thicker.

Thanks Cathe - I read 2 and a half inch somewhere but find it a little generous! I'll go for 2" next time!

k x