Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some border help please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-border-help-please-t58341.html)

QuiltMania 08-07-2010 06:04 PM

No matter what I do, I can't get the @#%** borders to lay flat. They always have a bubble somewhere. I'd appreciate it if you folks would look over my process and tell me where I am going wrong. Here's what I've been doing for borders.

1. Press quilt with dry iron.
2. Measure quilt through middle (vertically and horizontally)
3. Add 2x width of that measurement and cut border strips to that length
4. Attach top and bottom borders
5. Attach side borders

Ditter43 08-07-2010 06:13 PM

One thing I have noticed is the difference cutting with the grain makes. I cut across the width of the fabric for the top and botton, and with the grain for the side pieces. The other thing is spray starch....use a lot of it on your fabric before you cut the borders.....especially the ones cut for the top and bottom. Then be careful not to stretch the fabric as you sew.....Good luck!! :-D

smtp5 08-07-2010 06:21 PM

I always heard to put the sides on first, then the top and bottom.

Lady Tapioca 08-07-2010 06:27 PM

I don't understand what you are doing in step #3?
I also add the side borders then the top and bottom.

cwessel47 08-07-2010 06:36 PM

I mark the centers and the quarters, the eighths,sixteenths. if I need to, on both the borders and the center of the quilt. Mark everything to death! That way if there is any easing to do it will be done evenly. If it still doesn't lay flat - god bless you. and measure again....

Mousie 08-07-2010 06:42 PM

I have had this problem and for me, it's the quilt not being square.
It's an ongoing learning thing for me.
I measure, measure, measure...and I use carpenter square tools...the big ones! :shock: :)

Pamela Artman 08-07-2010 06:45 PM

Here's how I do mine. I fold the quilt in half and lay the border right on top across the middle of the half (so it would be measured at the 1/4 and 3/4 of the top) and then cut the border as it lays on the quilt top. Saves measuring that way. Then I pin the side borders on starting with the middle, then the ends, then in between. Then sew. Then I press the border and lay it out again folded the other way and cut the top and bottom borders the same way. The borders always seem to lay flat.

Bluelady 08-07-2010 07:05 PM

I measure down the middle of the quilt top lengthwise. That will be the length of the side borders. Cut the borders. Find and mark the halfway point, use a pin or mark with a washable pencil. Fold and find the middle points on the sides of the quilt top, mark with a pin or pencil. Match the middle of the borders to the middle marks of the quilt top. Pin the middles together. Then pin the entire border on, starting at the ends, so that there is no material overhanging, the ends and middle match up perfectly. By putting one pin in the middle and starting the rest of the pinning at the ends, you can account for any slack and avoid the "waves".
Once the sides are on, I press the border out and then repeat the process, measuring across the middle of the quilt top width-wise, to give me the length for the top and bottom borders.
Hope this makes sense!

BKrenning 08-07-2010 07:22 PM

I have heard some folks that take 3 measurements each--top to bottom and across--then use the average of the 3 measurements.

I agree that starch, starch, starch will help and cutting with the grain (parallel to the selvage) will also help smooth the waves. Marking & pinning the center and ends then easing in the borders might help also.

Lakeview Quilting 08-07-2010 07:23 PM

I mark the centers and the quarters, the eighths,sixteenths. if I need to, on both the borders and the center of the quilt. Mark everything to death! That way if there is any easing to do it will be done evenly.

This is the same process I follow. Pinning at centers, quarters, eighths and sixteenths and pinning border and top to match at the pins. Sew, removing pins along the way. Perfect every time.