Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some border help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-border-help-t40174.html)

rivka 03-20-2010 08:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm working on a queen sized quilt for my guest room. I'm using the "Log Cabin in a Day" book by Eleanor Burns, which helped make the process of the blocks very easy to do. I changed things up a bit as far as the borders go -- I made the first border skinnier (just thought it looked better that way), and made the next border out of strips of fabric in the opposite direction that most borders go -- not sure if it looks good or not, but it's on there to stay ;)

My issue now: I still have 9" of border on each side left to do, to make the quilt fit the bed properly. I have plenty of the light and medium blue fabric left from the quilt (I plan to do the binding in the darkest blue). But just doing strip bindings around the edges seems boring; on the other hand, I don't want to do anything to make the quilt look too fussy, either. What do you think? Should I just go with strip borders, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

quilt as it currently is
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20614[/ATTACH]

two border fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20615[/ATTACH]

quiltingnonie 03-20-2010 08:34 PM

I'd go with a 3.5" lighter blue border next, then a 5.5" med blue border, and bind with the darkest blue. I like your "striped" pieced border. Adds interest.

The wider borders won't be boring if you do a lot of quilting in them :thumbup:

Jim's Gem 03-20-2010 08:37 PM

I think what Quiltingnonie said sounds good. Looks like a bright cheerful quilt!!!

amma 03-20-2010 10:06 PM

I think with having one pieced border already, another one would make the border area compete with your blocks and look too busy. I like the idea of solid borders with lots of quilting too :D:D:D

raptureready 03-21-2010 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
I'd go with a 3.5" lighter blue border next, then a 5.5" med blue border, and bind with the darkest blue. I like your "striped" pieced border. Adds interest.

I agree 100%. Think of the wider borders as a matting and frame on a picture. Just as a well done matting and frame enhance a picture, the wider borders will enhance and actually show off your quilt. BTW, love the pieced border.

Rainbow 03-22-2010 09:48 AM

I go for the wider border...that will show the quilt off to perfection...my thoughts.

MadQuilter 03-22-2010 10:29 AM

I'm with amma on the pieced 2nd border. My gut reaction was to go with the medium blue - straight up. Very pretty quilt btw.

Marjpf 03-22-2010 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie

This gets my vote. Gorgeous quilt.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-22-2010 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I think with having one pieced border already, another one would make the border area compete with your blocks and look too busy. I like the idea of solid borders with lots of quilting too :D:D:D

I agree

hokieappmom 03-22-2010 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by amma

I agree. The one pieced border is great and enough.