Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some help here! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-help-here-t68966.html)

Chigger Holler Quilter 10-07-2010 09:25 PM

I inherited a large bag of men's ties. So far, so good! Until I opened them up and the mothball odor about knocked me over. I expected them to be dirty, yes....and eve smelly....but moth balls! I have soaked them in cool water with liquid Woolite (twice) hoping they would still be usable. I'll try hanging what seems like hundreds of them outside tomorrow....does anyone know a better trick? I am thinking of soaking them in white vinegar, but will that pull the color out? Experience talks here! HELP!

amma 10-07-2010 09:39 PM

Maybe try soaking them in baking soda water? It might be a little less harsh than the vinegar.
Although, there are many who use vinegar to set the dye into fabric...

Sadiemae 10-07-2010 09:39 PM

I put vinegar in the washing machine when I have things with odors. I have never soaked them though.

LovinMySoldier 10-07-2010 09:55 PM

I got some fabric today (used) that wreaked of cigarette smoke. I'm not a smoker and I hate the smell of it. I washed it once and they still smelled. The second time around I washed with vinegar. It took the smell out. It might be worth a shot too soak in vinegar and I like using baking soda too. I would try both. good luck

Lady Crafter 10-07-2010 10:49 PM

Vinegar does not affect color. It is very helpful in taking out odors and everyday cleaning. I use white vinegar in most of my everyday washloads, just because.

earthwalker 10-07-2010 11:08 PM

I have started collecting ties and some of them were pretty grotty. I actually deconstructed mine before washing and gently handwashed with liquid wool detergent, then rinsed with cheap white vinegar and water and hung out to air dry. Anything that didn't survive that was ditched, I had a theory that if I pulled them apart first I could assess usability and had no use for the lining so couldn't see the point in washing it. Oh and I didn't soak them for long.

Sew Krazy Girl 10-07-2010 11:14 PM

If airing them out in the sunshine doesn't work try this. Put them in a big plastic bag along with a box of baking soda. (Like one for your fridge.) Seal the bag and let them sit for awhile. Let us know what works.

Gal 10-08-2010 12:21 AM

In my experience all they need is fresh air, it can take time but the smell does eventually go, if you put the items out side to air. The nepthaline breaks down in oxygen. Nepthaline is nasty, as it breaks down it vapourizes and gives off a gas which is dangerous to breath in. It can also enter the blood stream just by handling the product, ok in very small doses, I would be careful just the same, I'd go for the airing outside option if it were me.
Gal

ckcowl 10-08-2010 01:39 AM

i haven't used vinegar to get rid of odors in fabric yet, but i have used baking soda with success. i was not 'gentle' with my ties, i threw them right into the wash and washed them like any other laundry. they held up just fine and made me believe they will hold up to any application i use them for. there is a really large amount of fabric in a tie !
i would thinks sunshine will help too,
good luck!

Jan in VA 10-08-2010 03:10 AM

What about airing, Febreeze, and airing again?