Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some help with machine embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-help-machine-embroidery-t318203.html)

nanac 05-12-2022 12:21 PM

Need some help with machine embroidery

I have been quilting for quite a few years now, do most of my piecing by hand. I have made a Unicorn quilt (appliqued) for my GGD. I want to add a little bit of pizzazz and embellish the outline with metallic thread that I can sew on the machine (my hand embroidery skills are abysmal).
I bought some Schmetz titanium machine needles (specifically for machine embroidery) and a spool of Sulky embroidery thread, but am getting beyond frustrated. I do not have an embroidery machine, but I thought I could do straight stitch on my Brother machibe. I have not been able to thread my needle without the strands separating.. Eventually, I was able to thread all the strands one by one, but that makes horrendous " bird a nests" on the back.
I am sure I am not the only one to do the embellishment so I am positive that somebody on the Board can tell me how to correct my issues. Any tips are helpful. TIA

Gay 05-12-2022 01:26 PM

Are you certain the thread is secure in the tension discs. I haven't had this problem but I do know metallic threads need a special needle with a large eye, mainly to stop breakage. Also there can be an issue with thread twisting.
The other alternative is to put metallic thread on a bobbin and same color normal thread on top, and sew from the back. If you can't see the outline from the back I would suggest stitching the outline in a matching color so you can see where to sew from the back. You may need to decrease tension on the bobbin.

nanac 05-12-2022 02:01 PM

Machine embroidery

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try that and practice before I work on the quilt. (that's how I found out what issues I was having). I am ready to take it to the quilter, but just wanted to add that little extra. I guess, if worst comes to worst, I will just not do the embroidery thing

Rhonda K 05-12-2022 05:58 PM

The web site says to use a Top-stitch 90/14 needle. What type of needle are you using?
I like Micr-Tex 80/12 for most projects and threads.

What stitch are you using for the applique? I like the one that looks like the edge of a leaf. Adjust the width/length
of the stitch depending on the design.

A thread stand should be used with metallic threads. Perhaps a thread net will help also. Don’t give up on the embroidery yet.Your
project sounds cute.

pennyhal2 05-12-2022 07:27 PM

There is something you can put on metallic threads...but at the moment, I can't recall what it is. I'll search my sewing room tomorrow and find it.

sewingpup 05-13-2022 05:07 AM

Years ago, I got rid of many of my sulky threads as they seemed so easily broken. Don't know if they have improved. I also have found that some metallic threads are better than others. I have used RA rayon gold metallic thread successfully, and also Superior thread metallic. While not "metallic" Glide poly thread in gold has a nice sheen to it and is a strong thread. Also slowing down the speed of your machine might help and also making sure the thread is not twisting.

FoggyButFocused 05-13-2022 09:48 AM

Would you consider fabric paint instead? Then it would be a multi-media quilt!

rvsfan 05-15-2022 09:45 AM

Need some help with machine embroidery

Originally Posted by nanac (Post 8551551)
I have been quilting for quite a few years now, do most of my piecing by hand. I have made a Unicorn quilt (appliqued) for my GGD. I want to add a little bit of pizzazz and embellish the outline with metallic thread that I can sew on the machine (my hand embroidery skills are abysmal).
I bought some Schmetz titanium machine needles (specifically for machine embroidery) and a spool of Sulky embroidery thread, but am getting beyond frustrated. I do not have an embroidery machine, but I thought I could do straight stitch on my Brother machibe. I have not been able to thread my needle without the strands separating.. Eventually, I was able to thread all the strands one by one, but that makes horrendous " bird a nests" on the back.
I am sure I am not the only one to do the embellishment so I am positive that somebody on the Board can tell me how to correct my issues. Any tips are helpful. TIA

Have you cross-posted this in the Machine Embroidery forum? You might pick up some ideas from members there. I just got a new embroidery machine and I monitor that forum daily to learn anything I can.

nanac 05-15-2022 12:09 PM

Thank you for your responses. I have tried most of your suggestions, but haven't managed the results I'd hoped for. I will check out the machine embroidery sub-thread. The pattern picture shows the gold outlining to highlight the profile (?) of the unicorn. I tried several different needles/sizes, and ordered the top-stitch needles from amazon (arriving tomorrow), and, even attempted hand-embroidery. Not a good look. Luckily, I have enough leftover scraps to practice on, until I get the look I want.
I have a few more things to try - the top-stitching needles, contacting pattern designer for info on how she did it, and if all else fails, guess I'll take it to a local embroidery shop, and have them do it.

Fabric Galore 05-15-2022 01:32 PM

Years ago, before there were embroidery machines, I took a class in free motion embroidering, and I made some lovely things. I dropped the feed dogs and moved the fabric like free motion quilting. All of the comments about threads and needles are good advice also. I have also used a decorative thread as cording to go around a design and then zig-zagged over it with either a matching or different thread to add pizzaz. Good luck!