Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need some help with problem please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-help-problem-please-t86531.html)

tmg 01-01-2011 03:44 AM

What about soap it should wash out

mimiknoxtaylor 01-01-2011 04:34 AM

In home ec we learned to make tailor's tacks using a needle & doubled thread. You take a couple stitches (loose) leaving a loop and tail. Then pull up & cut leaving another tail. Then cut your loop. If you're doing a double layer, gently separate your pieces & snip the threads between the layers making sure you leave enough where it won't pull out easily

judi wess 01-01-2011 05:33 AM

I still turn to soap slivers frequently. I made a pair of pull up fleece pants and found that the soap did the best job.

jitkaau 01-01-2011 06:09 AM

Will white - out be OK if you are careful with it?

matraina 01-01-2011 08:19 AM

I was also going to say to use tailor's tacks.

eimay 01-01-2011 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009

Originally Posted by auntmag
Make tailor tacks with white thread: thread a needle with a long piece of white thread and have the ends even. Take a stitch thru pattern and fabric at the dot on the paper pattern make a second stitch but leave a loop about 1 1/2 inches on top cut the thread even with apex of loop. Carefully cut the apex of the loop and remove the paper pattern. Gently pull the fabric pieces apart being careful not to lose the thread. Snip between the two pieces of fabric leaving equal amounts of thread on each piece and Voila!! you have a tailor's tack marking your cut out fabric. Hope this helps.

YEAH...and the winner is auntmag :)
I never would have thought of this...thanks everyone :)

Almost forgot about tailor tacks. Learned that in home ec in 1950s. Haven't used them in years; but they work well.

quiltmom04 01-01-2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by auntmag
Make tailor tacks with white thread: thread a needle with a long piece of white thread and have the ends even. Take a stitch thru pattern and fabric at the dot on the paper pattern make a second stitch but leave a loop about 1 1/2 inches on top cut the thread even with apex of loop. Carefully cut the apex of the loop and remove the paper pattern. Gently pull the fabric pieces apart being careful not to lose the thread. Snip between the two pieces of fabric leaving equal amounts of thread on each piece and Voila!! you have a tailor's tack marking your cut out fabric. Hope this helps.

Agree! I STILL use tailors tacks to mark darts when I sew clothing.

misseva 01-01-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I learned how to make tailor tacks in 8th grade home ec- never used them. Learned how to make popovers too. Teacher was named Mrs. Lovely.

I did too! Us 'old' experienced girls used to think it was funny to send a new girl to the store to buy 'tailor tacks'.

IBQUILTIN 01-01-2011 04:37 PM

Make a small snip into the seam allowance at your dots

Tweety2911 01-01-2011 06:50 PM

Yellow or white marking pencil.