Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-help-t28265.html)

GailG 11-06-2009 09:28 PM

I hope this doesn't sound unsentimental or anything but I was thinking that those caps would be a Godsend to cancer patients. Take a good picture of the collection and frame it. Donate the caps in memory of the loved one. I'm aware of the need because I sit in the waiting room of a cancer treatment center with my mom. I also remember teaching a child (first grade) who was undergoing chemo at the time. He loved wearing the caps that people gave to him. Just a thought.

Moonpi 11-06-2009 10:55 PM

My roommate wears caps all the time. Once, I made the mistake of trying to wash them, and they are not colorfast, Also, the fabric on his was some kind of blend, so it was a real mess! What went into the washing machine on gentle was maroon with yellow embroidery - what came out was deep rose with bright orange. Dave was NOT amused!

Maybe you can take the logos or whatever off them and use them for appliques.

retrogirl02 11-06-2009 11:06 PM

OOOOOH good point, Moonpi. My hubby wears a couple different ones and I told him I was going to wash them (someone told me you can in the dishwasher :roll: ) but he wasnt' having it.

Maybe a nice list of ideas for the caps, including that one to cancer patients would be helpful. If she has a bunch of his ties, you can make a nice quilt of that for her.

If you decide to go for it, maybe you could use a small template to cut a few shapes out of each section, just a thought.

Lyn4ty 11-07-2009 09:27 AM

See this is what I love about this message board all the good ideas and help!! I hadn't thought of the colorfastnest of the caps, nor had I thought of donating the caps. I would sure have hated to do this quilt for her and then have it ruined because the colors all ran. Something to reallly think about when doing something for another.

GailG, I think donating is a great idea, but not sure how well worn the caps are. I will pass the idea along for sure though. My prayers and thoughts with you, waiting is always the worst.

Thanks so much for the great ideas I really appreciate all of them!!!

joeyoz 11-07-2009 10:20 AM

Maybe using a serger and doing flat felled (I think that's how it's spelled) seams. That way they lay flat.

GailG 11-07-2009 12:08 PM

Hmmm, I was thinking (sometimes a dangerous thing). If the caps would be used to make a wall-hanging-type quilt, it wouldn't necessarily have to be laundered. Even a collage of the logos on the caps would be nice framed. And you're right about how much the caps have already been worn. I was actually thinking about new caps. My DH has rows and rows of hats stored up in his closet. Every now and then, he'll pull some out and share them with others. It's kinda like me trying to separate myself from my fabric. :lol:

Rachel 11-07-2009 12:11 PM

What's a puff quilt and how do I make one. that's adorable...
(baby too, tee hee)