Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-help-t46557.html)

Calico Grammy 05-20-2010 02:17 PM

I have pieced many many quilts but have never quilted one of my quilts. Reading all of the experiences here on this board (which I love, by the way) I decided to take the plunge and try to quilt one. Can someone tell me why my stitches have turned out so tiny??? I have tried everything (including reading the machine manual...last resort). I have changed the tension, the stitch length (have is as long as it will go), the width (wide as it will go). Sewed with a walking foot/without a walking foot, even took the machine apart and cleaned it! WOW, that was a plus for the machine!! Changed the pressure, the tension, everything I could think of and still.....tiny stitches. I'm definitely not happy with the way it looks. It will be an autograph quilt for my grandson's 8th grade graduation, so perfection will go by the wayside, BUT, If I am ever to quilt again, I have to fix these tiny little stitches!!! All advice soooo welcome! I know someone has the answer. THANKS

virtualbernie 05-20-2010 02:22 PM

did u drop your feed dogs?

Panther Creek Quilting 05-20-2010 02:25 PM

Are you Free Motion Quilting or ar you doing a straight line or stich in the ditch? If we knew we might be able to make some suggestions.

Sheila

Calico Grammy 05-20-2010 02:25 PM

No.....would that have changed the size of the stitch?

Calico Grammy 05-20-2010 02:27 PM

No free motion....not that brave yet! Just straight line and then I also tried stitching in the ditch.

All Thumbs 05-20-2010 02:28 PM

Ah yes--we need more information. Free motion is one thing, walking foot attached to machine properly is another. Also, do tell us what type of machine.....we all have been there done, this thing called first quilt and we want to help. Quilting ones own pieced quilt top is the frosting on the cake. What an accomplished feeling it yields. Do not, I repeat do not let this discourage you.

All Thumbs 05-20-2010 02:32 PM

I remember one time I did not hook that bar "thingie" to the needle and nothing worked. Took me three hours to figure that out. LOL Then when I got my new Bernia820 I again forgot to hook the the back "thingie" when using the walking foot attachment. Go figure! LOL Hopefully, we can help you. Good luck and let us hear from you once again.

Calico Grammy 05-20-2010 02:34 PM

OK~~~my machine is an older Janome~~~~nothing special, does have some decorative stitches, I love the machine, it has always performed very well. I know it's not the machine!!!! Has to be ME!!!

Calico Grammy 05-20-2010 02:35 PM

The walking foot worked OK, it just made the same tiny little stitches!!!

All Thumbs 05-20-2010 02:51 PM

The reason I wondered about the shank being hooked up in two places properly is because it may not be pulling the fabric through in an even manner. I assume you have machine set on a larger stitch length? Maybe try it on basting length. Who knows, perhaps machine had a hiccup and is stuck on small stitching. Now I do not have Janome, does the walking foot have its plastic feet still applied on the foot bottom? Sometimes these break off if they are not made of metal? You might want to check Internet for these same problems with your machine model number. Good luck.