Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some inspiration ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-inspiration-t204253.html)

GiddyUpGo 10-25-2012 07:25 PM

Need some inspiration ...

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished piecing a holiday table runner made with some really pretty purple, green and gold fabric. I really want the finished runner to look nice, so I'm not going to FMQ it because I am bad at FMQ. Really, really bad. I'm also a little tired of the same old stitch-in-the-ditch, but I'm not really sure what else I could do with it. Does anyone have any ideas? Photo is attached and thank you in advance!

azwendyg 10-25-2012 07:31 PM

How would you feel about doing stitch in the ditch just around the big blocks, then doing a series of echo stitching in straight lines with square corners that you could do with a walking foot. I think it would look really cool in gold metallic thread.

BETTY62 10-25-2012 07:31 PM

Your runner is beautiful.

kathdavis 10-25-2012 07:52 PM

I love that fabric. It would go great in my plum living room.

Prism99 10-25-2012 07:54 PM

I have done SID with a narrow zigzag and also with a serpentine stitch (looks like a continuous S). My sister quilted one of hers with a decorative feather-type stitch. SID looks really different when you change to a non-straight stitch and it's easier also -- more forgiving!

vanginney 10-25-2012 09:10 PM

When I get sick of stitch in the ditch. I do diagonals one way then back the other. So it looks like diamonds. I use a washable marker to draw the lines.

stillclock 10-25-2012 10:00 PM

oh! pretty!

what about using metallic embroidery thread and echoing the elegant shape of those ornaments in your print on the nine patch block?

you wouldn't have to do a lot of hand quilting and it would add such a lovely sparkle without taking away from the piecework.

aileen

tesspug 10-25-2012 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by vanginney (Post 5612865)
When I get sick of stitch in the ditch. I do diagonals one way then back the other. So it looks like diamonds. I use a washable marker to draw the lines.

I did diagonals using blue painters tape. Lay the tape on a diagonal line across the runner, stitch along one side using your presser foot at the edge of the tape as your guide. Then move the tape next to the other side of the line you just sewed and stitch again. Keep going until you have filled in. The tape comes in different widths.

TanyaL 10-25-2012 11:32 PM

Stitch Christmas trees in the 9 patch blocks, tack down the ornament blocks by stitching on sequins.

carolaug 10-26-2012 12:34 AM

I think this is a great idea and make it also look modern..you can use painters tape on your fabric as a guide

Originally Posted by vanginney (Post 5612865)