Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some math help please Problem Solved Thanks!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-math-help-please-problem-solved-thanks-t160880.html)

Airwick156 10-16-2011 11:43 AM

Hi everyone. I need some math help if someone can help me. And I appreciate everyones help.

I have made a quilt top that as it is right now without borders measures 80" x 90".
I want to put a 6" border around it.
How much fabric do I need and if possible, how many strips would I need to cut?
The fabric that I am wanting to use, is 44 inches wide.

Thanks so much for your help. :)

paulswalia 10-16-2011 11:50 AM

You need two that are 80 inches long, then two that are 102 long (90 plus 6 plus 6). That's a total of 364 inches. Assuming you can get a 40 inch length out of each WOF, you need 9.1 cuts. I use 40 when doing this math as it allows for a straight butted seam.(because fabric is usually 42) If you plan on a bias seam in your border (rarely is this done on a wide border) then you need to add about 20 inches per seam to the total. Does that help? As for how much fabric you need, that's 9 cuts of 6.5 inches each, a total of one and five eighths yards.

Prism99 10-16-2011 11:50 AM

Is it important to minimize yardage?

If that's not a problem, what I would do is use a piece of fabric a little more than 2.6 yards long. (2.5 yards = 90". You will need about 93" for the longest borders, and 93/36 = 2.6 yards) . From that I would cut 4 pieces along the length, each piece 6.5" wide. This would make each border a single piece of fabric cut along the lengthwise grain, which is the most stable grain and therefore desirable for borders. Leftovers would consist of a strip of fabric about 12" wide and 2.5 yards long.

I would sew the 90" (longest) borders first. That would make the shorter 80" sides 92.5" long (80+6.25+6.25). With 2.6 yards of fabric, each border would be a single lengthwise piece.

Note: I edited this to correct a few of the numbers.

Airwick156 10-16-2011 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia
You need two that are 80 inches long, then two that are 102 long (90 plus 6 plus 6). That's a total of 364 inches. Assuming you can get a 40 inch length out of each WOF, you need 9.1 cuts. I use 40 when doing this math as it allows for a straight butted seam.(because fabric is usually 42) If you plan on a bias seam in your border (rarely is this done on a wide border) then you need to add about 20 inches per seam to the total. Does that help?

I think so. Thank you so much. If I get the border sewn on today, I will post a picture. Its GORGEOUS GORGEOUS. And I want to keep it for myself but I can't. :(

Airwick156 10-16-2011 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Is it important to minimize yardage?

If that's not a problem, what I would do is use a piece of fabric a little more than 2.6 yards long. (2.5 yards = 90". You will need about 93" for the longest borders, and 93/36 = 2.6 yards) . From that I would cut 4 pieces along the length, each piece 6.5" wide. This would make each border a single piece of fabric cut along the lengthwise grain, which is the most stable grain and therefore desirable for borders. Leftovers would consist of a strip of fabric about 6" wide and 2.5 yards long.

I would sew the 90" (longest) borders first. That would make the shorter 80" sides 92.5" long (80+6.25+6.25). With 2.6 yards of fabric, each border would be a single lengthwise piece.

I have 3yards. I AM GOING TO put this information with the pattern as I plan on making a few more of these. Thank you.:)