Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some "math" help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-math-help-t235258.html)

bigredharley 11-22-2013 06:20 AM

Need some "math" help

I embroidered a guitar and when my daughter saw it she said it would be an awesome Christmas present for my 18 year old grandson - we can make 4 of them, then quilt blocks surrounding. It sounded like a good idea. So....got the guitars done - each is 11.75 long by 4.25 wide. I embroidered them on a 18 x 10 fabric. I'd like to do them as either a D9P or D4P but the math scares me......

The tutorials on both start with 5" charm packs. I have fabric to cut. D9P = three(3) 5" squares, with seams it becomes 15 inches minus two(2) 1/4 seams in the patch = 14.5" and that would work for the length, but not the width.

The D4P starts with 5" squares but has 3 seams so 10"-.75" for seams = 9.25 good for the width, but now the length is off.

Am I counting right, and how could I re-jigger the cutting to make this work? I don't want blocks that are too tiny, as the prints aren't too tiny.

Another easy/quick pattern idea?

mom-6 11-22-2013 06:27 AM

Your starting squares for either D9P or D4P can be whatever size you wish.

And I'm thinking you could even try it with rectangles instead of squares for a slightly different look.

Creativity time here!

bigredharley 11-22-2013 06:29 AM

Just realized I'm off by one seam allowance on both, but that just makes it worse.

mom-6 11-22-2013 06:29 AM

Or maybe use both d9p and d4p since each works for one dimension?

tessagin 11-22-2013 06:29 AM

Ditto to this.

Originally Posted by mom-6 (Post 6418353)
Your starting squares for either D9P or D4P can be whatever size you wish.

And I'm thinking you could even try it with rectangles instead of squares for a slightly different look.

Creativity time here!

Tartan 11-22-2013 09:08 AM

​I think I might look for a pattern that uses rectangles perhaps Shadowbox?

Scissor Queen 11-24-2013 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by bigredharley (Post 6418341)
I embroidered a guitar and when my daughter saw it she said it would be an awesome Christmas present for my 18 year old grandson - we can make 4 of them, then quilt blocks surrounding. It sounded like a good idea. So....got the guitars done - each is 11.75 long by 4.25 wide. I embroidered them on a 18 x 10 fabric. I'd like to do them as either a D9P or D4P but the math scares me......

The tutorials on both start with 5" charm packs. I have fabric to cut. D9P = three(3) 5" squares, with seams it becomes 15 inches minus two(2) 1/4 seams in the patch = 14.5" and that would work for the length, but not the width.

The D4P starts with 5" squares but has 3 seams so 10"-.75" for seams = 9.25 good for the width, but now the length is off.

Am I counting right, and how could I re-jigger the cutting to make this work? I don't want blocks that are too tiny, as the prints aren't too tiny.

Another easy/quick pattern idea?

If you look at the D9P you'll see that it's really just strips and squares. You don't have to start with an actual 9 patch to make an arrangement of strips and squares. Use graph paper and design around the embroidery block sizes.