Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some measuring help please!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-measuring-help-please-t28279.html)

diogirl 11-06-2009 06:30 PM

I have my quilt top done, now I need to cut my backing to cover the back. Ok the quilt top is 59"long and 65" wide. I bought 3 3/4 yards of fabric and plan on cutting the fabric into 4 even squares to sew together for the backing... so how do i determine the size of each square to make it cover evenly?? Math is not my thing at all... I suck at it! :lol: Any help would be great... BTW, it's a normal size fabric so what's that,, 42" wide off the cardboard rectangle?

dvseals 11-06-2009 06:51 PM

Okies lets see if my brain is up to math tonite hehe

3.375 yds long x 42 wide = 135'' x 42''
if you cut the 135 in 2 at 67.5 in and sew them together on the long sides *the 67.5'' sides*
it should come out to approx 67.5'' x 83''

you will only have 1 seam and it will be plenty big enough for your quilt

hope that makes sense if not lets try it this way hehe

fold it in half from end to end long ways and cut at the fold
this should give you 2 pieces measuring approx 67.5''x 42''
sew these two pieces together along the long sides (will be selvage sides)
and it should give you a rectangle measuring approx 67.5''x83''

AnnaK 11-06-2009 07:00 PM

I would cut off the selveges then cut the 3.75 yards in half crosswise. You'll end up with 2 pieces 67.5" long. Now join the 2 pieces where you just cut off the selveges. You'll end up with a "tube" 67.5" long. Now press your seams of your tube open. Cut your tube down the middle lengthwise and it should give you enough for your backing without a seam down the middle.

In the future, without having to use math, just make sure you have at least 4 - 6 inches beyond your quilt top on all sides.

I hope this helps you. PM me if this isn't clear.

LucyInTheSky 11-06-2009 09:50 PM

What I would do is take the 3.75 yards = 135 inches, iron it completely open. Then I would fold it in half lengthwise (so it's 67.5" x 40 x 2 pieces). Now, without cutting, I would sew the lengthwise piece. Cut off the fold off. Open it up, you now have a piece 67.5 x 80. Quilt back, 2 pieces, no cutting. Position it appropriately

For you more visual people: Put your hands out, both palms facing you, with your fingertips touching (middle to middle, pointer to pointer, etc). Fold your hands together, so they are exactly on top of each other. Now fold them open along the pinky "seam". Nice big rectangle of hands from a long skinny one

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

diogirl 11-07-2009 06:35 AM

Thanks for all of your answers! :)

Ninnie 11-07-2009 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
I would cut off the selveges then cut the 3.75 yards in half crosswise. You'll end up with 2 pieces 67.5" long. Now join the 2 pieces where you just cut off the selveges. You'll end up with a "tube" 67.5" long. Now press your seams of your tube open. Cut your tube down the middle lengthwise and it should give you enough for your backing without a seam down the middle.

In the future, without having to use math, just make sure you have at least 4 - 6 inches beyond your quilt top on all sides.

I hope this helps you. PM me if this isn't clear.

That's how I do it!
And then, the middle has no seam :D