Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some "oh sew wonderful" help!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-oh-sew-wonderful-help-t235027.html)

DOTTYMO 11-18-2013 09:53 PM

Look at the juki machines they all have larger throats than bernina's. There is a beautiful machine which sings whistles but fails to make a drink.

notmorecraft 11-18-2013 11:14 PM

I have an old Janome(New Home) memory craft 4000 which is 20 years old and I have the darning foot it came with the machine, but I can still buy replacement feet from dealer. If you want a new machine and to keep your old one as a back up and you are used ot Janome, why don't you look a the new memory craft 8900, it has an 11" harp . I have also FMQ on a cheap toyota with a fairly small harp, just a bit fiddly, try out different machines and see which one 'fits' you best.

mic-pa 11-19-2013 03:53 AM

you already have a Janome that works for you so go check out the new Janome's You can't go wrong.

Jackie Spencer 11-19-2013 04:29 AM

I have the Bernina with BSR also. I love it! Even beginners don't have to worry about their stitches with the BSR. It is an investment, but so worth it. All metal parts and bobbins. Best money I ever spent!!

quiltingeileen 11-19-2013 04:36 AM

Check out the Janome 7700. Big harp area. Great for machine quilting. Under $2,000.00 in my area. I have 2 janomes and love them both.

ManiacQuilter2 11-19-2013 05:31 AM

Don't tell your husband but there are generic free motion foot attachments !!

Quiltngolfer 11-19-2013 06:18 AM

I bought the Janome 8900 this summer. It is a great machine, and has the 11 inch harp space. It is heavy, sews a beautiful stitch, has many extra feet, and has a wonderful selection of stitches. It is very easy to use. This was my first Janome. I have a Bernina, a Brother 1500, a Singer Featherweight, a White, and a BabyLock serger. I love them all. I always go to the Brother for piecing. It just sews the straight stitch, but it does a great one, and has scissors built in. I love quilting on the new Janome. It has everything to do the best quilting. I seem to only use my Bernina for embroidery. Try out as many different machines as you can. You will find one you love.

AliKat 11-19-2013 07:42 AM

What a loaded question. You will get more answers than you probably will be able to comprehend. Pages of replies more likely.

I am a dedicated Pfaff used due to arthritis in my hands. I bonded with the machine. Have had other brands and they all were very good. Just that the IDT [dual feed] is best for me.

mighty 11-19-2013 08:20 AM

There are sew many nice machines out there it is hard to say! Try and check out all the features you can. Congrats!!!!

jmbaker3051 11-19-2013 06:28 PM

LOL, thank you so much for ideas for things to look for, honestly just had no idea where to even start. I do have a free motion quilting foot, just have no idea where I got it. It attaches like a regular foot, but flops around a lot so catches and breaks needles...