Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some quilting advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-quilting-advice-t179272.html)

carol45 02-13-2012 01:14 PM

Need some quilting advice

2 Attachment(s)
Over a year ago I posted my eq7 design for a full size quilt. Here it is:

Now I've finally found all the 12 different shades of blue that I needed and finished the quilt top. I need some advice about how to quilt it, both the central part and the border that hangs over the bed. I am not an expert FMQer--I'm building some skills, but I can quilt using a walking foot. I'd appreciate any suggestions that you can offer.
I'm attaching a picture of the top (it's on a queen size bed, but it will be a full size quilt--and I will bind it in the same dark blue that I used for the thin border).
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Lori S 02-13-2012 01:30 PM

If you are not so confident in the FMQ, Outline the stars straight line , and do a close grid in the centers and perimeter blocks... maybe 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches. You can stitch in the ditch on the piano key border. I would also stich in the ditch around each edge of the black border.
Beautiful quilt top.

carol45 02-13-2012 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 4972172)
If you are not so confident in the FMQ, Outline the stars straight line , and do a close grid in the centers and perimeter blocks... maybe 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches. You can stitch in the ditch on the piano key border. I would also stich in the ditch around each edge of the black border.
Beautiful quilt top.

Lori,
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Do you mean to echo quilt on all the seams that are on the stars? and what type of close grid in the centers? A square grid? I just can't picture it.
I think SID in the piano keyboard is a good idea.
Thanks!

erstan947 02-13-2012 02:19 PM

Beautiful Quilt! I love anything blue:) Great completion of your design.

kbishburg 02-13-2012 02:26 PM

What a gorgeous design. I have the same problem with a quilt I made for the costly daughter. I embroidered the top with silk thread so i can just outline the flowers, etc but the sides had me in a quandary because I am FMQ impaired. I finally got a scallop ruler and just quilted the skirt in rows of scallops about 2 inches apart.

sandybuttons 02-13-2012 03:42 PM

no help with the quilting, but sure do love the quilt :)

Krisb 02-13-2012 05:58 PM

I love anything blue, but to have all the blues in one quilt--perfect. And those eye catching miters in the borders.

Joset 02-14-2012 04:56 AM

pretty quilt.

kateyb 02-14-2012 05:05 AM

I would keep the quilting simple. Use an invisible thread or a varigated blue in the top and match the back color. A grid about 1/2" from all seams would be one idea. Then SID on the border. Let the design of the piecing be the star.

Stitchnripper 02-14-2012 05:25 AM

I don't have any suggestions for the quilting, but, wanted to say your quilt is gorgeous.