Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some tips...a little overwhelmed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-tips-little-overwhelmed-t137621.html)

mrsj82 07-14-2011 12:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all. I'm just trying to get some tips on a subject that has me completely flummoxed.

Recently we've moved into a new home (YAY!) and my quilting space has grown exponentially. The problem being is that I have absolutely no idea how to organize said space. I am used to having everything shoved away in bins out of sight, and the sewing space I've always dreamed of is now upon me, and I"m completely overwhelmed.

How does one organize five years of quilting stuff (in boxes and bins) into an organized at your fingertips room/space? I don't even know where to begin so any tips you have would be very much appreciated. I've attached some pictures of the space I have to work with and hoping someone can give me a jumping off point. Thanks!

There is a whole other side of this room with identical spaces...shelves etc
[ATTACH=CONFIG]226438[/ATTACH]

The shelves etc are behind this sewing space
[ATTACH=CONFIG]226439[/ATTACH]

PATTIESPEARL 07-14-2011 12:48 PM

How I would love to have your problem!

bjnicholson 07-14-2011 12:49 PM

The only thing I see that you need is shelving, shelving, shelving in the closet. Then you will be able to organise your fabric if you fold each piece the same size. There is a tute here on the board on folding fabrics using cardboard. I got a ton of boards from JoAnn's, cut them in half and they're perfect for folding. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

mrsj82 07-14-2011 12:49 PM

Thanks, that does help me! Shelves would be good! LOL

gaigai 07-14-2011 12:50 PM

Well, decide what you would need to work on a project: your sewing machine, cutting table, a pressing area. Do you want them where all you have to do is swivel your chair to get from one to the other, or do you want to stand up to cut and/or press? It looks like your sewing area is part of a larger family room. What do you want out visible for the world to see? What would you prefer hidden, and/or out of the way of prying little fingers (or even big ones). You will need certain tool at your fingertips. Do you want a rolling cart, a set of drawers on a table top, a basket? How do you want to arrange and store your fabric? Do you want to be able to watch TV or something while you sew? That will determine how you situate your sewing table. Go to the search feature and enter "sewing area" and see what other people have done. And good luck!

joym 07-14-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by PATTIESPEARL
How I would love to have your problem!

me too ;-) ;-)

ube quilting 07-14-2011 01:03 PM

What a great space. What ever you do, know you will rearrange the space several times before you are satisfied.

Will you have a spot for a design wall. This and the sewing station should be near to each other. Ironing station to the right or left of s-machine depending on being right or left handed. Fabric near to the iron station. Cutting station near the fabric . I like to have the iron so I can work from both sides. It really doesn't matter where you place things as long as related things are close at hand as you set the room up. Hope some of this helps. It will be great!
peace

:D

moonwork42029 07-14-2011 01:04 PM

Shelving, shelving and more shelving... if you can afford it get even more shelving, lol.

Pegboard on the wall with some hanging do-dads for garages work good. Good for hanging your rulers, scissors and other items within reach.

Keep your one big wall open for your "design wall" and have a way to hang your design wall backing on it

Folding tables are great for extra work space (and for family dinners) and can be taken down if you don't want them up all the time.

Radio / TV / Computer / Printer area would be great so you can give yourself a break and read the QB during your breaks, lol.

I love little boxes that I slide in and out of my shelves for scraps and fat quarters...I use the used medium size flat rate boxes and cut off the "flaps".

I like having to "get up" every once in a while just so I don't get overly stiff from sitting too long so I have my ironing board out of finger reach.

Be sure your fabric can be covered up to protect it from sun if you have windows in your area without curtains.

Have fun...look forward to pictures

luvTooQuilt 07-14-2011 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Well, decide what you would need to work on a project: your sewing machine, cutting table, a pressing area. Do you want them where all you have to do is swivel your chair to get from one to the other, or do you want to stand up to cut and/or press? It looks like your sewing area is part of a larger family room. What do you want out visible for the world to see? What would you prefer hidden, and/or out of the way of prying little fingers (or even big ones). You will need certain tool at your fingertips. Do you want a rolling cart, a set of drawers on a table top, a basket? How do you want to arrange and store your fabric? Do you want to be able to watch TV or something while you sew? That will determine how you situate your sewing table. Go to the search feature and enter "sewing area" and see what other people have done. And good luck!

everything that she said.. :thumbup:
draw out what you think would make 'sense' - anything to avoid any unnecessary steps, move this to get to that, etc.. find a way to make your movement around the room flow..

but storing my fabics is a different story:
I keep everything but selvages.. This is how my room is organized..

These are in 30 gal tubs no matter what size pieces they are:
Holiday- each holiday (xmas, 4th, halloweenie, easter, etc) have its own tub
Flannel
Vintage fabric (35in xWOF)- all goes in one tub
Authentic 30's feedsacks

All my Bolts (3+yards) are on the bookcase and in walk in closet.
All my 1-2 yards cuts are ruler folded, then separated by theme (floral, kids prins, asian, etc) and solids, blenders, and the rest are seperated by color on bookcases

Batiks are in a see thru sterilite three drawer separated by light med dark..
Fqs are separated by color, floral, novelty in it's own sections on wall cd racks, closet maid 24/36 bin shoe organizers.. Each area has its own 'theme' so i can find what I'm looking for.

My scraps are in specific see- thru bins, tubs and drawers depending on size..

Each Accuquilt Die cut shapes have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own- I do have most if not all the dies already.. lol..
strips less than10 inches but longer than 5 inches of has a a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
Strips longer than 10 inches but less than WOF has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
2 inch strips are hanging on the back of the door
1.5 x wof has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
2.5 x WOF strips has a a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
3x WOF strips have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
5x WOF strips have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
all other strips x WOF are separated by colors and has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
Crumbs have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
Scraps less than a fq but larger than 6x6 has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own- these are waiting to be cut with my Accuquilt
2 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
2.5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
3 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
3.5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
4 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
4.5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own

And that's how my room is organized..

I followed Bonnies method.. www.quiltville.com.

nyelphaba 07-14-2011 01:10 PM

I wish I had your problem. Maybe as you settle in and start sewing there the space will become more familiar, and you will know how you want it set up.