Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need suggestion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-suggestion-t283718.html)

retired2pa 11-12-2016 04:21 PM

Need suggestion

I'm going to have my sewing machine for sale and wondered where a good place to list it would be other than Ebay.

Thanks.

Colleen

Prism99 11-12-2016 04:32 PM

The sewitsforsale group at groups.yahoo.com is good.

Also quiltersfleamarket group, same yahoo website.

quiltedsunshine 11-12-2016 06:22 PM

Craigs List has listings by area, so you can sell local. In my area, the local TV station has free classified adds online. And the newspaper has online classified adds, but they charge a lot.

Reba'squilts 11-13-2016 04:21 AM

I sold my Diamond on Craig's list. Did not take too long. It made me nervous to have a stranger come to our house. I guess it was the thought of that old murder movie. It all worked out! Was easy! Since we have renovated our kitchen I put my old stove on and someone is coming to pick it up today. I would just make sure you are not alone when the person comes to buy.

Karamarie 11-13-2016 05:01 AM

Selling something small I would meet at a busy parking lot someplace. A large item always have someone there with you and preferably not needing to come into your house, I know sometimes that is not possible.

gramma nancy 11-13-2016 11:28 AM

Another thought

I have used Craigslist to buy. Have never sold anything there, but it seems to have a lot of followers who check it for what they want. I have used Yahoo groups, but you probably get a bigger audience on Craigslist.

You might want to check with your machine repair shop. Perhaps they will sell it on commission for you.

joyce888 11-13-2016 12:11 PM

No matter what site you sell it on; if they are coming to you in person, have them meet you at the police station or fire station. In Georgia they have been doing this public service for several months. If you are unsure contact the stations first for approval. As others advise take a partner (personally I would take a male with me).

sewbizgirl 11-13-2016 12:36 PM

In our area there are Facebook 'garage sale' pages for most towns. You might check to see if your town has one.

tranum 11-13-2016 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Karamarie (Post 7698252)
Selling something small I would meet at a busy parking lot someplace. A large item always have someone there with you and preferably not needing to come into your house, I know sometimes that is not possible.

If if it's big, I have it in garage, near the driveway and make sure DH is visible. I have met buyers at the neighborhood grocery store and take long way home to make sure no one follows. I have used CL a lot. Be sure you are flexible, because 8 out of 10 are late!

Peckish 11-13-2016 05:24 PM

I sold my friend's handcrank Singer for her on Craigslist. Met at a Starbucks. Buyer checked out the machine and made sure it was operational and in good shape, and I sold it for cash only. Easy peasy.