Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need suggestions for new machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-suggestions-new-machine-t132831.html)

KimS 06-24-2011 10:12 AM

My Singer died and I called the repairman and he said due to the age and type it would cost more to fix it than it's worth. :cry: I wanted a new machine to FMQ but loved that one to piece. Anyway...I have looked at reviews and researched until I am completely confused. I quilt for fun and as a hobby. Not professionally as some of you. What machine would you recommend for someone like me?

jljack 06-24-2011 10:15 AM

If you would consider a vintage machine, you could read through the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop thread. There are many recommendations in there for vintage machines that FMQ and piece beautifully. They are also all metal parts so last longer, and easy to fix/maintain yourself. No electronics to deal with! Just my suggestion.

donnajean 06-24-2011 10:16 AM

I would go for something that you can purchase, get instruction if need, & get serviced in your area. Take fabric with you when you go shopping so you can try the machines out to see what works for you. Like cars now, there are so many bells & whistles that you may or may not want or need.

pocoellie 06-24-2011 10:37 AM

I wouldn't get a new Singer is all I can say, but I don't know what your price range is, so that's the only recommendation I can give. My personal opinion.

hobo2000 06-24-2011 10:41 AM

Vintage is the only way to go as the rest last until the final payment or after 4-5 years of having it serviced annually, you have more than paid for it twice over. Any of the Singer 500 series are great for piecing, FMQ, and have lots of fancy stitches. Cost, generally, in my area, less than $100.00.

lllog 06-24-2011 10:45 AM

If you didn't ask Jay Reynolds, I wouldn't be in to big of hurry to replace your singer, PM me and I'll give you his contact info.

Lanny

KimS 06-24-2011 11:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh my gosh! I can't believe I forgot about having this!! When we started talking about vintage Singers it reminded me I have my Grandma's. I've never used it but I know she did and it has a new spool of thread on it so that's a good sign. I had a magnificant treasure right under my nose and didn't realize it. Please ignore the "junk" in the picture. It's called too much stuff and not enough storage room.

My Grandma's Singer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216067[/ATTACH]

Grandma's Singer with the cabinet opened.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216068[/ATTACH]

BrendaY 06-24-2011 11:48 AM

Great! I'm glad you found grandma's machine.. let us know how you like sewing with it, please...

I'm in the same dilemna... which machine do I want to purchase? Just too confusing...

Jennifer22206 06-24-2011 11:50 AM

Honestly, I have a new singer. I really dislike the thing.

butterflywing 06-24-2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by KimS
My Singer died and I called the repairman and he said due to the age and type it would cost more to fix it than it's worth. :cry:

don't cry........my doctor said the same about me.